Buying Saltwater from LFS? Newbie Question

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering when U buy saltwater from a fish store...

How do they keep it fresh? Isnt it in a bottle and closed up? Is that okay for saltwateR?

I mean I know when u mix sw ur supposed to let it mix for 24 hours w a powerhead?

So how is it safe sittin in a bottle w no movement?

Always wondered....
shrug.gif

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i always buy mine from my lfs. it is an hour away, and theres is in a huge system that they make it and is in some huge blue tank things. which is not stagnant. its a rodi system and then it goes into the large holding tanks. which is then just opened a valve and poured into my jugs. its not like its sitting there in the lfs just in jugs. although some places do put it into jugs and it sits until you pick up and trade in your jugs to take the jugs with water. but i would never do that. you dont want water thats just been sitting in jugs for who knows how long.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same question goes for bottled water for human consumption. It boils down to the sterilization of the water in the bottle. Most use ozone to sterilize before sealing the bottle.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 85 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back