C02 tank leaks... What to do?

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CO2 tank is leaking should I put plumbers tape or any sort of tape in the thread? I used the new washers but in spite of that it still leaks CO2 a little bit... my meter was showing drastic reduction ,usually it is not that drastic! why is it doing it I even cleaned it.. should I tighten it by hand or should I tighten it by wrench... I did one turn by wrench after hand tight.... Video attached thx

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s leaking. I’d not wrech tighten it *too* much as you can damage the threads. I’d use plumbers tape around the threads and see if that helps.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use any tape. Get a correct size wrench and tighten. I had the same issue trying to just hand tighten it years ago. Woke up and it had dumped the whole 10lbs.
Curious why you’d not use tape on the threads. We use teflon tape on all our tanks in the lab where I work.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why you’d not use tape on the threads. We use teflon tape on all our tanks in the lab where I work.
Its not designed to use tape. It seals with the nylon washer.
I have never heard of anyone using tape.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not designed to use tape. It seals with the nylon washer.
I have never heard of anyone using tape.
Oh interesting. We wrapped the threads for all of ours during a recent OA study I’m a coauthor on. Didn’t have any issues. Maybe it’s just depends on the manufacturer. We wrap the threads on the tanks for our air tables as well.

OP, I’d listen to the other replies. Sounds like the equipment I was using was different from what you’ve got.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting. We wrapped the threads for all of ours during a recent OA study I’m a coauthor on. Didn’t have any issues. Maybe it’s just depends on the manufacturer. We wrap the threads on the tanks for our air tables as well.

OP, I’d listen to the other replies. Sounds like the equipment I was using was different from what you’ve got.
Tape is used on tapered threads. Any compressed gas to regulator does not need any form of tape.
Tank to regulator seals with the nylon washer.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape is used on tapered threads. Any compressed gas to regulator does not need any form of tape.
That’s great info. Thank you. It makes sense seeing as we’d never use tape on scuba tanks. I’ll pass this info along.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My CO2 tank is leaking should I put plumbers tape or any sort of tape in the thread? I used the new washers but in spite of that it still leaks CO2 a little bit... my meter was showing drastic reduction ,usually it is not that drastic! why is it doing it I even cleaned it.. should I tighten it by hand or should I tighten it by wrench... I did one turn by wrench after hand tight.... Video attached thx
When you say washer, do you mean the nylon gasket?
If so did you get a proper CGA-320 gasket?
If not, buy one and replace.

If that doesn't work you can replace the stem coming out of the carbon doser.

This is correct.
It's a CGA-320 for CO2. It's just like a union fitting.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nylon washer from Amazon. All this worked well before but suddenly this is happening same equipment nothing changed...

I did see black O-RING in regulator side, all intact ...

Pack of 5 Co2 Fiber Washers

What I used.... Description it says:

MaterialCo2
Outside Diameter0.75 Inches
Washer TypeFlat
BrandHBYOB
Number of Pieces5
Head StyleFlat
Fastener TypeFlat Washer
Co2 replacement washer
¾" in diameter

Last edited:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's probably slightly cross threaded

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it's cross threaded to me. Spin it off then spin it the wrong way a few turns and then turn the right way by hand. Make sure the nut looks perpendicular while you are doing it hand tighten only until you know it's on right then use leverage

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a minor leak, can't I put some kinda putty in the spot?!! As temporary fix?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't use tape for our CO2 tanks for incubators. No issues.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@kris2001 Either the gasket or the flat side to which the gasket mates has failed.
If the regulator has the groove for the little o-ring like the Taprites then I'm not sure the nylon washer will work. See examples below.
Example 1.
1000001710.jpg

Example 2.
1000001709.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back