Cabinet Lights...

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
discussion for cabinet lighting...pretty dark in there. what's everyone using? Tape, Puck, kitchen cab? Seems like tape lighting works great but would think outdoor IP68 tape would be best. I'd like purple for the glow but obvious something bright too to see stuff. lately I've been just using a flashlight or headlamp. Not currently doing a fuge but need to see water level and temp at least. 112EXT I think 12 feet is all I need. If I set this up again, I would have placed a wire or strap over the horizontal tank supports to hang things from.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
discussion for cabinet lighting...pretty dark in there. what's everyone using? Tape, Puck, kitchen cab? Seems like tape lighting works great but would think outdoor IP68 tape would be best. I'd like purple for the glow but obvious something bright too to see stuff. lately I've been just using a flashlight or headlamp. Not currently doing a fuge but need to see water level and temp at least. 112EXT I think 12 feet is all I need. If I set this up again, I would have placed a wire or strap over the horizontal tank supports to hang things from.
I use a cheap white and blue aquarium light strip connected to a timer.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a set of pucks meant for kitchen cabinets from Amazon. Does the job perfectly!

1000002003.jpg

ReefMonkey13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these. Great and really simple to install. Only tool needed were a set of scissors.

White LED Strip Light, CT...

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a set of pucks meant for kitchen cabinets from Amazon. Does the job perfectly!

1000002003.jpg
thought those were fuge at first from the pink. any thought on if they should be IP67or68? I have a 36x36 that needs illumination. Was also thinking about motion detector. For the brief time under there, I could probably even do solar.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought those were fuge at first from the pink. any thought on if they should be IP67or68? I have a 36x36 that needs illumination. Was also thinking about motion detector. For the brief time under there, I could probably even do solar.
Honestly, i am unsure as to the rating of the ones i am using! They have been running for years, this is the third tank i am using them on :) I wouldn't worry too much about it, think of all the other bits of kit reefers are mounting within their stand.

I did contemplate installing a sensor, just seemed a bit unnecessary when I can just switch them on when I open the cabinet :)

1000002004.jpg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these. Great and really simple to install. Only tool needed were a set of scissors.

White LED Strip Light, CT...

I did my daughters bedroom ceiling in Govee. After I ordered, went in and ordered a 2nd to make sure I had enough footage. Would you believe when I installed and spliced, the tape became REALLY hot. Found out even though it was the same manufactured and tape, they make 2 different wattages. so her room is now 6 feet short to ensure safety. took me a while to figure out what was going on. but I really do like the options tape lights have.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, i am unsure as to the rating of the ones i am using! They have been running for years, this is the third tank i am using them on :) I wouldn't worry too much about it, think do all the other bits of kit reefers are mounting within their stand.

I did contemplate installing a sensor, just seemed a bit unnecessary when I can just switch them on when I open the cabinet :)

1000002004.jpg
for the amount of time used, I could probably even do battery. just so much humidity and salt. I left the house for the first time since the big open tank went in and over 4 days, 57% indoor humidity, only lost 1.5 gallons out of about 100. I forget all my numbers right now. I think the 112 has 80g and the sump 20g with all the items displacing the water.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the amount of time used, I could probably even do battery. just so much humidity and salt. I left the house for the first time since the big open tank went in and over 4 days, 57% indoor humidity, only lost 1.5 gallons out of about 100. I forget all my numbers right now. I think the 112 has 80g and the sump 20g with all the items displacing the water.
Never bad any issues so it's really not a concern to me :) As for humidity, I have most of my electronics over the tank with a glass lid and a couple of fans on. Humidity sits between 40-50% in the area.

No issues. Ever. Not so far. Three years in doing it this way and a handful more on a seperate setup :)

Not gonna hijack your thread with that btw :)

1000001778.jpg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never bad any issues so it's really not a concern to me :) As for humidity, I have most of my electronics over the tank with a glass lid and a couple of fans on. Humidity sits between 40-50% in the area.

No issues. Ever. Not so far. Three years in doing it this way and a handful more on a seperate setup :)

1000001778.jpg
hijacking is OK. It's about finding the great choices. For others too. I'm liking that other light in the previous post. mostly for slim design, door activation, expandability etc..

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1000001778.jpg
That's a LOT of equipment for a tank of that size!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no issue so far with the cheap led light strips from Amazon
have a link? I'm liking those others a lot that can connect multiple 12" strips to, door activated, thin 1/3"? etc..I was thinking of doing some a couple under cab mags or strips but those others are so thin like nothing is there. only thing better would be if they did a vertical corner loop.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap Amazon light and plugged it into my Apex with some door switches. So now every time I open the door the light comes on, love it.
I've got 4 doors. but as long as one activates. The tape lights are nice too. Trying to make sure the heating elements were under water was a tight area to see in a small dark box.

Back