Calcium and Alkalinity

Cameron A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
Was wondering if you might have some insight as to what could be happening in my tank. It seems as though just recently my alkalinity and calcium have not been getting consumed. I had my red sea reefer 170 stable for about 2 month with alk at 9-9.2 and my calcium standing at about 430-440. The pH has always been borderline 8 with the highest at 8.1(kind of been trying to raise this messing with my return pump and water breakage).Im using reef crystals as my salt and at the moment only feeding reef roids as any suppliment to the coral 2 times a week, no aminos or anything else. Magnesium always reads about 1400 with salinity at 1.026 and a temp staying between 78 and 79. My lights are on for 12 hours but the substantial intensity period is about 7 hours. Nitrates have always been low around 5ppm as i have only a clownfish and a few hermits at the moment and have been trying to restock my corals after a heater got stuck on overnight. My phosphates read at 0.02. I started noticing this change pretty rapidly after i added three one inch acros to my tank(going all sps again). I test at minimum 3 times a week and it seems like it shot up in 2 days from my stable 9-9.2 alk to a 10.5-10.7 alk and calcium at 560. Ive shut off my doser for now and did my weekly water change today of 3.5 gallons so am hoping i might of been low on some other ion but dont have a test kit for anything other than the standard calc alk and mag right now. Any thoughts on what couldve induced this rapid change?
Thanks,
Cameron Anderson

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals, especially SPS and LPS can stall in their uptake of calcium when growth stops or slows. This happens normally with any tank. It should pick back up when you notice growth again.

Don't chase PH.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back