Calcium doing things it shouldnt

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both logically and scientifically I realize that that calcium levels in my tank should not be rising unless I'm physically adding calcium to my tank.

According to my Trident (recently calibrated), a hanna checker, an aquaforest test kit, and my LFS.... my calcium levels are continuing to rise, even though I turned off my calcium dosing over a week ago.

So.......where am I adding it from?

I admit I have always struggled with finding a reliable way to test my calcium, I know that I have continued to have "user error" for years with calcium specifically and it is part of what drove me to finally invest in an Apex and Trident.

When trident confirmed my manual test of calcium around 500ppm I turned off the calcium dosing channel entirely with the plan of just letting it fall back down naturally.

This is a somewhat new tank (6 months) and only has a few small frags so I know my calcium usage is very low so I expected it to take a long time to come back down, but what I didn't expect was to see it continue to rise.

I have hit a max calcium reading of 566ppm, did a water change as well as calibrated the trident, readings came down to 525 and then have begun rising again over the last two days and I am now back up to 540ppm.

My alkalinity and magnesium have stayed stable with minimal dosing of red sea foundation parts B and C. It's only my calcium that changes. If I stop dosing alkalinity it falls a natural amount daily with no change to the calcium level.

60ish gallon total water volume, sps frags, 5 small fish, feeding mostly frozen mysis and nori, only doing red sea foundation and nopox. Roller mat and skimmer, ato with RODI water, never tap. Use red sea blue bucket salt (regular reef salt, NOT the coral pro)

Fresh made salt water mixes to about 450ppm calcium.

Salinity 1.026
pH 7.7-7.9
Alk 8.4-8.5
Mag 1400ish
Calcium what the heck
PO4 0.03ppm
NO3 30-35ppm

Screenshot_20230601_170321_APEXFusion.jpg
Screenshot_20230601_164710_ReefBeat.jpg
20230601_164328.jpg
Screenshot_20230601_164048_APEXFusion.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you 100% sure the dosing head is off? Perhaps it's dripping(siphon)?

The large drop in the last graph, was that fron the water change? Then it started rising again on it's own?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you 100% sure the dosing head is off? Perhaps it's dripping(siphon)?

The large drop in the last graph, was that fron the water change? Then it started rising again on it's own?
That was the day I calibrated the trident, so it logs a reading from the calibration solution which is way lower than my tank. That was also the day I did the water chage.....so theoretically it should have either stayed stable from that first test after the calibration or slowly started to come down

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at your dosing, your dosing about .1DKH of alkalinity, and about 1ppm mag. I would just shut everything off for a couple days(you have plenty of ALK and CAL to let them drop for a few days). Then test and see where things are.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly suggestion but double check your Doser to ensure correct head is connected to correct liquid. If all is good I would turn all automated additions off and see what happens over a week+.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said. But there is biology and dissolution processes in our systems that will change parameters without input from us.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1.

Check Salinity measurement against a reference
Just recalibrated, checked, confirmed and remeasured. It's a good thought though. I was hoping it was going to be that easy.

I did go ahead and turn off all of my dosing completely and disconnected to be sure none of the tunes are leaking. I'll continue to monitor it over the next few days.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recalibrated, checked, confirmed and remeasured. It's a good thought though. I was hoping it was going to be that easy.

I did go ahead and turn off all of my dosing completely and disconnected to be sure none of the tunes are leaking. I'll continue to monitor it over the next few days.
Probably a good idea to check that the correct solutions are connected to the correct dosing heads too. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW,folks sometimes have issues with trident accuracy, especially when reagent is getting low.

The current calcium level, if accurate, is fine.

Do you have a calcium test kit?

FWIW, calcium is not going to rise on its own from in tank processes unless alk is also rising at a rate of about 2.8 dKH for reach 20 ppm of calcium.

Topping off with tap water can also boost calcium.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

OK, again.

Maybe salintiy is higher than expectrd.

There's really not any way for calcium to rise 100 ppm without adding it somehow. Any in tank addition would have added 14 dKh of alk. Maybe some of that got depleted by nitrate rising, but hard to explain it all.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.... thanks everyone.

So yes, everything except NoPoX has been off since Thursday (and disconnected from the dosing containers JUST to be certain). Obviously I need to wait longer to really get a better idea.

But, FWIW...

alk has dropped 0.1dKH
Calcium has risen 1ppm
Magnesium has risen 1ppm

Since those changes are all way within margin of error of testing, I'm going to assume that technically nothing has changed at all. I'll give it longer before I decide for certain, but maybe yall were right and I just don't really need to be dosing yet even with my few frags.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back