Calcium Hydroxide quality and purity

karsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been dosing Calcium Hydroxide of 96% purity. In the analysis it says that it contains a maximum of 0.07% of aluminium oxide. Is this considered much and will give problems in the future?

The results of my ICP test where 68 ug/l of Al (the ICP was done after a 45% water change so the value was higher)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume the aluminum came from the calcium hydroxide. Note that the value is a max value, not an actual value. It might be contributing, but so might other sources.

In my linked article below, I show how a typical food grade calcium oxide can have 0.1% aluminum, what that means over time in a reef tank, etc.

In general, I’ve not heard of folks having aluminum issues from food grade calcium oxide or hydroxide.

Your levels are likely not high enough to be an issue based on my testing, but if you do have issues such as closed up corals, it may be worth more effort to identify the actual sources.

OP
OP
karsie

karsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy, then I'm assuming it's the aluminium light fixture which is in contact with the water when the wavemaker is at full speed. It's painted but not very well around the edges. Otherwise I have no idea what it could be

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy, then I'm assuming it's the aluminium light fixture which is in contact with the water when the wavemaker is at full speed. It's painted but not very well around the edges. Otherwise I have no idea what it could be

No white media such as Phosguard or Marinepure?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Sphere which is the same as Marinepure? It came out of an exisiting tank and is thus not new, could this be the culprit?

It may be, yes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back