Calcium precipitation and follow up question

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help me with this. I use Seachem Calcium as my calcium supplement. I mix it up per instructions - 5g per 250mL and hook it on my doser. Recently I have been noticing (lots of) precipitation in my dosing container. Maybe I counted teaspoons wrong one day.... totally possible.

Question: Once precipitation has occurred, is there any way to re-dissolve?

Follow-up question: Once precipitation has occurred, does that mean the liquid in the dosing container is no longer potent enough to use and I should just toss it?

TIA for your help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should not be any precipitate from it when mixed with pure fresh water (not seawater).

If there may have been some alkalinity supplement in it from earlier, that will cause some preciptiate.

It should be able to be quite concentrated.

I'd probably just ignore it if no clear explanation comes to mind.

OP
OP
mermaid_life

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should not be any precipitate from it when mixed with pure fresh water (not seawater).

If there may have been some alkalinity supplement in it from earlier, that will cause some preciptiate.

It should be able to be quite concentrated.

I'd probably just ignore it if no clear explanation comes to mind.
I have accidentally dropped Calcium in the Alk before and the result and I've seen the result is white cloudy reaction.

This is more like a yellowish/whiteish powdery sediment - A LOT of it. I know that my fresh RODI water has lower pH - 7ish. Could this cause this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have accidentally dropped Calcium in the Alk before and the result and I've seen the result is white cloudy reaction.

This is more like a yellowish/whiteish powdery sediment - A LOT of it. I know that my fresh RODI water has lower pH - 7ish. Could this cause this?

No, pH in RO/DI is not important and not correctly measured with any hobby tools.

Some sources of calcium chloride, such as prestone driveway heat, show some brownish precipitate that may be iron.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back