Calcium question

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping reef tanks for a year and I still know nothing. Now that is out of the way heres my question. I have at the moment a 60 gallon deep blue rimless frag tank. Using my CO2 scrubber I am going through ALK pretty quick. I dose 0-60ml a day depending on the level to maintain close to 8.6 dkh. My question is I have never had to add Calcium and my level stays 550-600 with my hannah tester with water changes alone. Is this normal?

OP
OP
SeanD

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry dosing is the BRS soda ash. I purchased the 2 part system but I've only been using the ALK half

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yea it is weird the cal alk usage being unequal is weird. what salt are you using?
And the co2 scrubber is just effecting mainly the PH fwiw.

OP
OP
SeanD

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling that was the only benefit of the scrubber but for whatever reason ph stays 7.8-8.08 without it so 8.3 seems to be better according to the "perfect numbers" I keep trying to acquire.

Salt I am using Reef Crystals but I'm considering changing to Red Sea Pro when I run out, the brown film in my mixing trashcan seems gross and best I understand only happens with RC.

OP
OP
SeanD

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the calc additive but my hannah always reads 580-600 so I've never dosed it.

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Sean. My opinion, get rid of the Hannah checker and get salifert. The Hannah checker dilutes, 100:1, if memory serves correctly. This effectively means there is no margin for error in your mixing tank and RO water. BRS did a nice video on it, I'd suggest you google it.

I had the same problem, thinking my calcium was high. After some moments thinking I was crazy, I had my local fish store check my values and they matched my salifert. So, I've switched.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling that was the only benefit of the scrubber but for whatever reason ph stays 7.8-8.08 without it so 8.3 seems to be better according to the "perfect numbers" I keep trying to acquire.

Salt I am using Reef Crystals but I'm considering changing to Red Sea Pro when I run out, the brown film in my mixing trashcan seems gross and best I understand only happens with RC.
HI Sean. My opinion, get rid of the Hannah checker and get salifert. The Hannah checker dilutes, 100:1, if memory serves correctly. This effectively means there is no margin for error in your mixing tank and RO water. BRS did a nice video on it, I'd suggest you google it.

I had the same problem, thinking my calcium was high. After some moments thinking I was crazy, I had my local fish store check my values and they matched my salifert. So, I've switched.
yup, get a second opinion.
also read that article, It also would say, testing error in most cases if the cal alk drop is uneven.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe You need to dose the prt 1 & 2. even though your Ca seems Ok ? could be why the alk keeps dropping. After all it is a 2 prt balanced solution. Maybe your ca might skyrocket at 1st but will balance out in a short period of time ? Maybe something to try.

OP
OP
SeanD

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would appear I put too much faith in the BRS review of the hannah testers. I went to the LFS and got a red sea pro test kit and cal is actually in the 330-350 range not 600. I dosed some calcium tonight to bring it back up. Looks like after all this time I'll get to use the other half of my 2 part dosing hahahahaha.

Thanks for all the help guys

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about 'perfect' numbers, especially with Ph. Your Ph without the co2 scrubber was still within normal parameters. The important thing is for your numbers to be stable. I'd watch alk the most. If it's steady, the tank generally will be ok. I used kalk in my ato for a while and it took care of alk and ca. Now I use two-part to keep things steady. Good luck!

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked out for you Sean, knowing what is really going on is half the battle. I too was lured into the "ease" of the Hanna meter too. Best wishes

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back