Calcium Reactor Causing my alk to go down?

OP
OP
M

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me see if this helps you.

Each media melts at different ph. I use the coarse ARM which has a higher melting point. It definitely melts at 7.2-7.3.

You want a specific ph to get a specific alkalinity effluent. That effluent is set, right?

Say your alkalinity keeps going down when you have effluent is at 30ml/min, 5 bubbles a second, and 5 psi at a ph of 6.5, say dkh effluent is 20.

You can raise the effluent dkh by decreasing the ph by increasing the bubble count, increase psi, and decrease effluent rate.

Now you have to keep in mind that the effluent rate is extremely important. In the previous example if you wanted to increase dkh effluent, you can’t decrease the ph at that rate.

So what you do is you increase the effluent rate while keeping the ph at 6.5.

Basically you are adding more dkh per minute. You’ll have to use more co2 to do this, but it’s the nature of the beast.

It’s easy to forget the effluent sets how much dkh is constantly going into the tank. Lower effluent is less dkh per day total and higher effluent is more dkh going into the tank per day total.

Just some basics.

Psi: how big bubble of co2. Higher is more co2 and lower is less co2 per bubble
Bubble count: how many bubbles per second
Effluent: how much dkh per day is going into the tank. Lower effluent is less dkh and will make ph stay lower without as much co2 as with a higher effluent.

I set my ph constant, and do not set it with a range with my apex. I don’t want to burn clicks on my apex energy bar.

As the ph goes up during the day, the reactor ph will naturally go up. As night comes, my tank ph goes down, so the reactor ph will go down.

The negative of this is if your ph daily swings aren’t the same everyday, it will affect the dhk dose per day will be different each day.
Thanks!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back