Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my codes. First one is Alk on the trident. Mine is called Alkx9
IMG_5026.JPG

High Alk Code to turn on/off High Throttle (note Alkx9 specified here)
IMG_5029.JPG

Timing cycle for CDosFlutHIGH
IMG_5028.JPG

My CarbonDoser coding: Note... I use 2 throttle codes so ignore CaRxThrotLOW and ignore the last line. It's there to make sure CO2 is off if my alk is over a certain limit. Also ignore the Time line. It's there to always run my CO2 when lights are on UNLESS my alk is over the limit on the last line (9.1)
IMG_5030.JPG

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have worked out what the problem iv been having is.
I have miss understood duane’s code.
All you guys and him have it set up to be on periodically if the alk is above your desired level and on non stop when alk is under.
Now I THOUGHT! that it turns off completely when above your desired alk level.
I have low demand at the moment and it’s a 100L tank so I have set mine up to turn off completely when alk is above 10 and use the 5min 15min timer when it’s bellow 10. I assume that’s ok to do it this way too. I might change it to run even shorter then that maybe 2min. If alk gets tested every 4 hours and the effluent rate is 3.5mL per min. I’ll keep an eye on the fluctuation

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have worked out what the problem iv been having is.
I have miss understood duane’s code.
All you guys and him have it set up to be on periodically if the alk is above your desired level and on non stop when alk is under.
Now I THOUGHT! that it turns off completely when above your desired alk level.
I have low demand at the moment and it’s a 100L tank so I have set mine up to turn off completely when alk is above 10 and use the 5min 15min timer when it’s bellow 10. I assume that’s ok to do it this way too. I might change it to run even shorter then that maybe 2min. If alk gets tested every 4 hours and the effluent rate is 3.5mL per min. I’ll keep an eye on the fluctuation
You could do that.. BUT the idea behind the codes is to slow the alk input when you are at your set limit so that it will start to drop slowly. Ideally you want the alk to rise slowly when the reactor is running and then drop slowly if it goes over your limit and the throttle code is running. This smooths out the ups and downs that you would have with CaRx raising the alk fast and then dropping fast when it's completely off.

Try slowing the bubble count down and let the reactor run at a higher pH so your effluent is less concentrated with carbonate. You can also decrease the CO2 pressure so there is less gas going in with each bubble. Or a combination of the two until you have the CaRx raising the Alk in the tank slowly over time if it's running continuously.

When I first turned mine on, I had the bubble count one every 10 seconds. I am now around 1 every 5 seconds and have bumped the pressure up slightly on the low pressure gauge.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that.. BUT the idea behind the codes is to slow the alk input when you are at your set limit so that it will start to drop slowly. Ideally you want the alk to rise slowly when the reactor is running and then drop slowly if it goes over your limit and the throttle code is running. This smooths out the ups and downs that you would have with CaRx raising the alk fast and then dropping fast when it's completely off.

Try slowing the bubble count down and let the reactor run at a higher pH so your effluent is less concentrated with carbonate. You can also decrease the CO2 pressure so there is less gas going in with each bubble. Or a combination of the two until you have the CaRx raising the Alk in the tank slowly over time if it's running continuously.

When I first turned mine on, I had the bubble count one every 10 seconds. I am now around 1 every 5 seconds and have bumped the pressure up slightly on the low pressure gauge.
Ok. I understand that. My co2 bubble coins is already very slow The way I have my code set right now should raise my alk slowly and Let’s assume my tanks alk drops slowly. I can see an issue with the way it’s running right now.
do you think effluent rate matters when we put so much control within the chamber ? It’s 3.5 mL per min too slow ? Jake from reef builders mentioned that number so I though I would try it my self

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I used this code my alk would continue to creep up two high because it’s not being consumed fast enough yet because the demand is too high

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I used this code my alk would continue to creep up two high because it’s not being consumed fast enough yet because the demand is too high
You can change the timing on the throttle code. It's very adjustable between the on and off times you can select, and have it set to reduce the CO2 input just a little or a lot. It will take some tinkering and trial and error to find the on/off cycle that works best for your system as it is currently set up.

When I was first getting mine set up I had my CaRx barely running with CO2 input. The tank was very lightly stocked with a few corals and I wanted to make sure I didn't put too much alk into the tank. pH in the CaRx at the time was around 7.3 or .4 using Reborn media. So very little media was dissolving.

While I was adjusting my CaRx I was dosing Alk in the form of baking soda every few days as needed. I would make an adjustment to the CaRx and then give it a few days to see how the Alk levels went in the tank. Dose baking soda if it was dropping. Then adjust the CaRx again. It took a couple months to find the right amount of CO2 and adjusting of the throttle timing code to get to the point where alk levels in the tank wouldn't swing much each day. Over the past 8 months or so as demand has increased, I have increased the bubble count just a little here and there when I find my alk dropping more than I want by the end of the light cycle each day. I have left my effluent unchanged at 30ml/min. The CaRx pH is around 6.83 when it's running.

I also have my Trident set to run 6 tests a day.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull my flow thru the effluent line and thru the calcium reactor using my peristaltic pump. At the same time, being completely paranoid, I use a very small pump in my sump attached to the 1/4 input line to my reactor.

This is my first experience with calcium reactors, so I am still not sure if pushing or pulling thru a reactor is best. Do you have any preferences either way?

Still struggling with this current code:

Flow fixed at 30ml/min; CO2 bubbles fixed at 1 every 2 seconds; Testing Alkalinity every 3 hours currently.

CO2_7_5:

Fallback ON
If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON
If Output VO_CO2Limter = ON Then OFF
If pHCaR5 < 6.60 Then OFF
If Alkx17 > 9.30 Then OFF

VO_CO2Limter:

OSC 001:00/004:00/000:00 Then ON
If Output VO_CO2Maxmum = ON Then OFF

VO_CO2Maxmum:

Set ON
If Alkx17 > 8.90 Then OFF

I am still not able to get this under control.
Question: What is the effect If pHCaR5 > 7.00 then ON statement would be removed and instead replaced with SET ON? Is SET ON the correct way to control the reactor? Note that when my pH in the reactor is around 7.00 pH and the reactor is throttling, the results seem to be keeping the tank's alkalinity under some reasonable control. Whereas if I let the pH stay ON continuously when the last test is <8.90 and waits there for the next 3 hours, then the pH drops quickly way too low causing my effluent to rise immediately which then forces my tank's real alkalinity to shoot way too high over 9 and even past 10! How should I change my code so that when my alkalinity test drops below my 8.90 set point, this will NOT cause my tank's alkalinity to jump so violently and quickly too high.

Below are the screen shot of the last 9 hours of Alkx17 vs CO2 where CO2 is throttling ON/OFF every 5 minutes and the last 4 tests were 9.07 at midnight, 9.19 at 2am, 9.19 at 5am, and 9.29 at 8am which is well above the 8.90 set point:

I would really appreciate some (more-thanks) help.

Annotation 2021-11-02 092948.png

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flow fixed at 30ml/min; CO2 bubbles fixed at 1 every 2 seconds; Testing Alkalinity every 3 hours currently.

CO2_7_5:

Fallback ON
If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON

VO_CO2Limter:

VO_CO2Maxmum:

Set ON

Question: What is the effect If pHCaR5 > 7.00 then ON statement would be removed and instead replaced with SET ON? Is SET ON the correct way to control the reactor? Note that when my pH in the reactor is around 7.00 pH and the reactor is throttling, the results seem to be keeping the tank's alkalinity under some reasonable control. Whereas if I let the pH stay ON continuously when the last test is <8.90 and waits there for the next 3 hours, then the pH drops quickly way too low causing my effluent to rise immediately which then forces my tank's real alkalinity to shoot way too high over 9 and even past 10! How should I change my code so that when my alkalinity test drops below my 8.90 set point, this will NOT cause my tank's alkalinity to jump so violently and quickly too high.

Below are the screen shot of the last 9 hours of Alkx17 vs CO2 where CO2 is throttling ON/OFF every 5 minutes and the last 4 tests were 9.07 at midnight, 9.19 at 2am, 9.19 at 5am, and 9.29 at 8am which is well above the 8.90 set point:

Annotation 2021-11-02 102450.png

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2_7_5:

Fallback ON
If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON

VO_CO2Limter:

VO_CO2Maxmum:

Set ON

From my understanding the code is read from top to bottom and the last line that is true is the one that takes effect. I would remove the second line If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON The idea with the code is to not use reactor pH for control of the CO2. I have a low pH line as a failsafe like yours but that's it.

The throttling code is supposed to cause the alk to drop slowly. If it's continuing to rise then you need to adjust the throttle code and increase the second number so the CO2 stays off longer.

Before you do that:
However.. I think the problem is the alk is rising too fast when the alk is below your throttle point of 8.90
30ml/min effluent is fine but you need to see about adjusting your bubble count so the alk is not going up so fast when the CO2 is running without the throttle.

You mentioned pH around 7 seems to be about right for your alk demands. I would be looking to hit around 7 then when alk is testing below 8.9 and the reactor is running without throttling. What is the pH when the reactor is running without throttling now?

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding the code is read from top to bottom and the last line that is true is the one that takes effect. I would remove the second line If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON The idea with the code is to not use reactor pH for control of the CO2. I have a low pH line as a failsafe like yours but that's it.

The throttling code is supposed to cause the alk to drop slowly. If it's continuing to rise then you need to adjust the throttle code and increase the second number so the CO2 stays off longer.

Before you do that:
However.. I think the problem is the alk is rising too fast when the alk is below your throttle point of 8.90
30ml/min effluent is fine but you need to see about adjusting your bubble count so the alk is not going up so fast when the CO2 is running without the throttle.

You mentioned pH around 7 seems to be about right for your alk demands. I would be looking to hit around 7 then when alk is testing below 8.9 and the reactor is running without throttling. What is the pH when the reactor is running without throttling now?
Thanks again for responding. I must say that you are amazing giving your time and advise so generously. Much APPRECIATED!!

To answer your pH question, up to now I have done everything I can to avoid reaching below 8.90 but the rare times that it has gotten below, I have immediately always forced the Alkalinity back above 8.90 by very slightly adjusting the pHcaR5 value down lower than 7.00 by only 0.02pH units.

So far, without throttling running and CO2 running 100%, my pH has dropped within 30 minutes to about 6.70 before I was able to catch it and make the necessary counter adjustment. Needless to say, the pH in the reactor obviously would have continued dropping likely to at least 6.5 and beyond if I didn’t take swift immediate action.

At this point, I will now remove the statement If pHCaR5 > 7.00 then ON.

Should I replace this with SET ON and make all further adjustments with only the throttling and bubble count adjustments while letting the pH in the reactor drop to where ever it wants?

This likely means that a huge change in the bubble count to start before the reactor pH gets back up to 7.00 and also large adjustments to the throttling code.

Ron

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for responding. I must say that you are amazing giving your time and advise so generously. Much APPRECIATED!!

To answer your pH question, up to now I have done everything I can to avoid reaching below 8.90 but the rare times that it has gotten below, I have immediately always forced the Alkalinity back above 8.90 by very slightly adjusting the pHcaR5 value down lower than 7.00 by only 0.02pH units.

So far, without throttling running and CO2 running 100%, my pH has dropped within 30 minutes to about 6.70 before I was able to catch it and make the necessary counter adjustment. Needless to say, the pH in the reactor obviously would have continued dropping likely to at least 6.5 and beyond if I didn’t take swift immediate action.

At this point, I will now remove the statement If pHCaR5 > 7.00 then ON.

Should I replace this with SET ON and make all further adjustments with only the throttling and bubble count adjustments while letting the pH in the reactor drop to where ever it wants?

This likely means that a huge change in the bubble count to start before the reactor pH gets back up to 7.00 and also large adjustments to the throttling code.

Ron
Hi Ron
Yes I would remove the pH line for turning it on. The line to turn off if it's below 6.5 or so is fine as that is a failsafe if something happens with the CO2. Monitoring pH is fine to help understand where you are at as far as concentration of the effluent but there is no control of CO2 for maintaining tank Alk with this system.

I would start with adjusting the bubble count somewhere around 8 or 9 on the carbon doser. You can change the throttle code to something like 005:00/025:00/000:00 That is pretty similar to what you have now but slightly less CO2 over time (5 min on and 25 off) It will make the pH in the reactor swing a little more but the overall effect will be about the same amount of alk going into the tank. It will cycle the carbon doser less often though which will help in keeping it from wearing out sooner.

Keep an eye on Alk over the next week or so and if it goes over 8.9 on it's own and DOES NOT drop below 8.9 while on throttle mode, tweak the throttle time so it has an even longer off time. If the reactor is running pretty steady around the clock and the Alk does not reach 8.9 at some point during the 24hour day cycle then you will need to increase bubble count. Make a small adjustment and wait a few days for things to stabilize. At the same time be prepared to dose a little baking soda so you can keep the alk around 8.5-8.8 or so until you have the reactor keeping up with demand by increasing the bubble count. Then go just a little more so the throttle program kicks in for a little bit each day.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2_7_5:

Fallback ON
If pHCaR5 > 7.00 Then ON

VO_CO2Limter:

VO_CO2Maxmum:

Set ON

Can you read marcs blog it might answers some questions you have. https://melevsreef.com/blogs/trident-controlled-calcium-reactor

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you read marcs blog it might answers some questions you have. https://melevsreef.com/blogs/trident-controlled-calcium-reactor
Thanks for your input. Actually I first read Marc's blog at the beginning of my journey but I was still not understanding fully. So I sent a question to Marc at melevsreef back on Sep12, 2021 as follows:

[ I don’t understand, when using this same code in your blog, how you ensure that “pH in the reactor is set to 6.8” ? How do you keep the pH fixed at a specific pH level.? Won’t the pH in the reactor always be fluctuating with no real fixed level? Is there some additional Apex code that you are using to keep this pH set somehow? ]

Marc did kindly reply saying that that was a very good question. He then went on to say that he had no idea how the pH is set to 6.8. He said this code was provided to him by another member on R2R. But suggested that I go and find a thread on reef2reef which discusses this code. ie this thread and this is how I landed here.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron
Yes I would remove the pH line for turning it on. The line to turn off if it's below 6.5 or so is fine as that is a failsafe if something happens with the CO2. Monitoring pH is fine to help understand where you are at as far as concentration of the effluent but there is no control of CO2 for maintaining tank Alk with this system.

I would start with adjusting the bubble count somewhere around 8 or 9 on the carbon doser. You can change the throttle code to something like 005:00/025:00/000:00 That is pretty similar to what you have now but slightly less CO2 over time (5 min on and 25 off) It will make the pH in the reactor swing a little more but the overall effect will be about the same amount of alk going into the tank. It will cycle the carbon doser less often though which will help in keeping it from wearing out sooner.

Keep an eye on Alk over the next week or so and if it goes over 8.9 on it's own and DOES NOT drop below 8.9 while on throttle mode, tweak the throttle time so it has an even longer off time. If the reactor is running pretty steady around the clock and the Alk does not reach 8.9 at some point during the 24hour day cycle then you will need to increase bubble count. Make a small adjustment and wait a few days for things to stabilize. At the same time be prepared to dose a little baking soda so you can keep the alk around 8.5-8.8 or so until you have the reactor keeping up with demand by increasing the bubble count. Then go just a little more so the throttle program kicks in for a little bit each day.
Hi Shirak,. Great info! I am going to remove the code to control of the pH in the reactor and replace it with the SET ON command. I will keep the flow fixed at 30ml/min and lower to one bubble every 5 seconds to start increasing as necessary and set the throttle to 5 mins ON and 25minutes OFF to start. Let you know my progress.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shirak,. Great info! I am going to remove the code to control of the pH in the reactor and replace it with the SET ON command. I will keep the flow fixed at 30ml/min and lower to one bubble every 5 seconds to start increasing as necessary and set the throttle to 5 mins ON and 25minutes OFF to start. Let you know my progress.
Here is the results of what the effect was when I removed the If pHCaR5 > statement and replaced it with SET ON. I made this change approximately about 9pm last night. I started with throttle at 5min ON and 25min OFF and set 1 bubble every 8 seconds [NOT 5sec] as you suggested.

The graph shows the effect of pHCaR5 vs Alkx17 over the last 24 hours starting a 8am yesterday morning to 7am today. Alkalinity tests after 9pm occurred at 23:00 then 2am then 5am. At 9pm last night when the Apex code changed, phCaR5 was 7.01 pH and Alkx17 was 9.09 dkh and throttling was running continuously until 00:33am at which point the CO2 turned ON (VO_CO2Maxnum = ON) continuously and throttling stopped. At 2:09am VO_CO2Maxnum turned OFF and throttling resumed and continued through the rest of the night until now (7:30am). At 7:30am, pHCaR5 was 7.29 pH and Alkx17 was 9.09 dkh.

It looks like pHCaR5 is going to increase from 7.29 pH and continue its climb much higher unless I make some changes? I am thinking that I now need to increase the melting a bit to 1 bubble every 7 secs?? Really again not sure.

Here is the graph:
Annotation 2021-11-03 073556.png

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the results of what the effect was when I removed the If pHCaR5 > statement and replaced it with SET ON. I made this change approximately about 9pm last night. I started with throttle at 5min ON and 25min OFF and set 1 bubble every 8 seconds [NOT 5sec] as you suggested.

The graph shows the effect of pHCaR5 vs Alkx17 over the last 24 hours starting a 8am yesterday morning to 7am today. Alkalinity tests after 9pm occurred at 23:00 then 2am then 5am. At 9pm last night when the Apex code changed, phCaR5 was 7.01 pH and Alkx17 was 9.09 dkh and throttling was running continuously until 00:33am at which point the CO2 turned ON (VO_CO2Maxnum = ON) continuously and throttling stopped. At 2:09am VO_CO2Maxnum turned OFF and throttling resumed and continued through the rest of the night until now (7:30am). At 7:30am, pHCaR5 was 7.29 pH and Alkx17 was 9.09 dkh.

It looks like pHCaR5 is going to increase from 7.29 pH and continue its climb much higher unless I make some changes? I am thinking that I now need to increase the melting a bit to 1 bubble every 7 secs?? Really again not sure.

Here is the graph:
Sorry I just realized that my VO_CO2Maxnum code was inadvertently set at 9.0 NOT 8.9 as I thought. So this meant that at 0:33am, this caused the VO_CO2Maxnum to drop to 8.99 dkh forcing the switch to running CO2 continuously from 0:33am to 2:09am when the throttling resumed.

I have now corrected my mistake and set VO_CO2Maxnum back to 8.90 dkh. Very sorry for this error.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the graph:
Don't worry too much about the reactor pH. Mine swings big time when the reactor is on fully and when it's throttling or off completely occasionally. More important to see where your alk is going over the span of a 24hr period and if it's repeating the cycle each day. I run my Trident on 6 tests/day. I like having the tighter control and it works better for my setup because of the timing of the light cycle vs the Trident tests. My ph alk chart over the past week below. Ignore the wonky stuff in the middle 10/30-10/31. That was calibration with 9.5 alk solution and took a day to get things back on track. Alk in the tank had actually dropped to 8.7 and I was expecting that as the high alk calibration solution had triggered the turn off CO2 completely for a period of time. You can see reactor pH up over 8 for a period of time.

My throttle point at the high end is 8.9. The alk on my tank runs between roughly 8.9 and 9.1 for most of the day with the occasional little drop below or above for a short period. So .2 swing over 24hrs.

Untitled.jpg

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shirak, it's now been almost 36 hours (started 9pm Nov2) since I removed the If pHCaR5 >7.00 statement. My Apex variables during this time have been fixed at Flow=30ml/min; CO2Maxnum=8.90; Throttlng 5mins ON 25mins OFF; and 1Bubble every 8mins. I have made no Apex changes so far.

My pHCaR5 vs Alkx17 graph which follows starts Nov2 9pm and ends today at approx Nov4 7am.

Can't tell if it is too early to evaluate or should I just leave things alone for more data?

Annotation 2021-11-04 070412.png

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron,
Lets give it a day. Your starting in the morning at 8.93dkh and the throttle code is running. A 24hr cycle from this point will be good information to see where the alk levels go through a light cycle and where they end up tonight and tomorrow morning.
Tony

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back