Calibrating a refractometer

wheelman76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a known solution of 35ppt, and your refractometer reads 35ppt for that solution, and your tank water doesn't, you can be confident your tank is not at 35ppt.

It doesn't have to be more complicated than that unless you want it to be. $13 for calibration fluid. Why not just buy a bottle and be done with it?

It's not always that easy , I just bought a brand new bottle of Sybon 35ppt calibration fluid last weekend from my LFS and it told me my refractometer was way off and that my tank was at 1.030. I returned the bottle to my LFS and they tested it and it was 5ppt off. They tested 3 other bottles on the shelf and they were bang on. I find that very frustrating because if you can't trust the calibration fluid then what can you trust ? It's a good thing that I confirmed the fluid was faulty rather than making drastic adjustments to my tanks salinity.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not maybe. That's why I said, "If you have a known solution of 35ppt"

Enjoy the rabbit hole of questioning calibration fluid.

Not sure why people want to make this more complicated than it needs to be.
And how do you assure your "known" calibration fluid for $13 is really known? So, maybe.

Making your own standard seems to simplify it by taking out that unknown or at least reduces the unknown.

Randy provided in that article I linked to a very simple recipe to make your own.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so make your own. Then you will have a known solution of 35ppt - and my conditional statement will be true.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so make your own. Then you will have a known solution of 35ppt - and my conditional statement will be true.

I believe you stated buying a $13 bottle not making one.

$13 for calibration fluid. Why not just buy a bottle and be done with it?

Which my answer to that question is maybe and a link to a thread showing those bottles can be off.

Nemo's Janitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley... Brands of salt mixes have different "ingredients" in their mix. Is there a reference on the the different salt mix brands, referring to refractive index, comparing to... the Salinity, SG and Density.

Edit... I am referring mostly to salt mixes that are recommended for "fish only" use and those for "reef tank" use

Last edited:

Nemo's Janitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, over the years, I have found that the calibration of the refractometer is best "CHECKED" and not "ADJUSTED" to your own tank reference solution just before you check salinity. Adjust salinity to correspond to the reference solution/s.

Salinity stability is key. If you are storing samples of your water, and recording progress you can always go back to that sample when tank was running at it's best.

Last edited:

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry your e-yelling had my head spinning.

But for how accurate one has to be I don't believe one has to be precisely at 35ppt. It's a good target.
EXCUSE THIS OL MAN, DID NOT THINK MY TYPING IN CAPS WOULD BE CONSTRUED AS E-YELLING....JUST A HABIT...I HOPE THE SPINNING HAS CEASED...UNLESS READING THIS CAUSES A RELAPSE...LOL...

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXCUSE THIS OL MAN, DID NOT THINK MY TYPING IN CAPS WOULD BE CONSTRUED AS E-YELLING....JUST A HABIT...I HOPE THE SPINNING HAS CEASED...UNLESS READING THIS CAUSES A RELAPSE...LOL...
FYI, online it is considered yelling and does make it harder to read for some.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because of this thread I bought the calibration solution. Then I put it in. Read the number and it was spot on. Last time it was calibrated was with RODI :) but now I have a reference.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because of this thread I bought the calibration solution. Then I put it in. Read the number and it was spot on. Last time it was calibrated was with RODI :) but now I have a reference.
Assuming the calibration solution you bought is correct.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back