Calibrating refractometer

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened up my new refractometer and out of the box it's saying my RO/DI water has 0ppt / 1.0 SG and my tank has 1.027 SG. Should I even bother trying to calibrate this? Some of the Amazon reviews state they took it straight to the LFS to test and theirs were already calibrated...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I took mine to the fish store to check mine against there and found mine was off. We determined that I need a better refractometer, but what I do is know were there is reading and where mine is reading and I check my water to that. I have a controller and just double check to make sure.:)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you need to calibrate your refractometer closer to a usable range! once calibrated you will notice your di water is off from 0ppm
Good answer:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened up my new refractometer and out of the box it's saying my RO/DI water has 0ppt / 1.0 SG and my tank has 1.027 SG. Should I even bother trying to calibrate this? Some of the Amazon reviews state they took it straight to the LFS to test and theirs were already calibrated...
In my opinion, calibrating it with RO/DI to zero is better than nothing. Better yet is to create your own calibration standard as Randy describes in this article.
Just remember, this is the recipe for a refractometer. It will not read accurately in a hydrometer.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of em now that I have seen say ATC on them. Stands for automatic temperature controlled. @Brew12 beat me to recommending Randy's recipe for calibration fluid. I calibrate mine every time I use it FWIW.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought calibration fluid on Amazon for $11 and guess what - my refractometer was spot on 1.026.

HcrK3.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's awesome. I used my refractometer for 4 months before buying calibration fluid.I couldn't keep any corals alive bc my SG was 1.020 :eek:. Now I check with calibration fluid every week. It will hold its accuracy as long as you don't drop your refractometer or shake it really hard.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, calibrating with RODI water can cause problems with accuracy. Due to the fact that you are calibrating it to the lowest end of the spectrum possible, any variance is going to have a much larger effect the higher your SG goes. If you think of it as a graph starting at 0, a one degree variance would be negligible. The higher up the graph you go though the bigger your discrepancy gets. I use the calibration fluid from BRS. Calibrating your refractometer to a value much closer (1.026) to what you are testing for results in less chance for error. Just my 2 cents :)

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol @ the people in this thread not reading the posts and thinking we're still talking about calibrating w/ RO water...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not calibrate with rodi water.

visioned

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recalibrate at each water change which is currently bi-weekly.

i do this to ensure my SG never moves more than +/- .001.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back