***Calling All Achilles Tang Aquariums***

armspar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see your heathy, happy achilles tangs, and I want to hear your stories for adding them into your tank!

Show me what you got, these beautiful deserve all the attention they can get!

Thank You for stopping by

-arms

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will know soon enough.

I am trying one. Got ridiculous flow going right now (up to 70x turnover on a 225g).

Got an ozone reactor set up with about double the recommended dosage being pumped into a dedicated reactor with 250gph running through it.

Running a nitrate reactor. Day one he is already eating, not shy at all, getting along w tank mates.

I fully expect him to get ich. Not worried about the tank mates succumbing but i figured it was a 75% of him not making it....probably a 100% he would be dead if i left him to get pick up by Joe impulse but.

So far he is eating nori (but only when i grind it ip through a power head and flood the tank with it), he will eat mysis, brine and pellets.

He seems to prefer grabbing his food in the lower 10 inches of the tank and all his tank mates are agressive eaters so he doesn't get as much (but its only day 1).

I just ordered the brown algae (cant find red) and will be instituting a 3 feeds per day plus nori all day long for the next 10 days. He will get twice a day mysis/brine plus 1 nori mon-thur for a couple weeks after that.

Nitrates might be a problem with all this feeding...we will see.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of him playing in the surf against a neptune wav an a vortech both wide open (8,500gph head on) under the actinics....its bad quality ill break out my canon tomorrow and get some pics.

20161015_205952.jpg

20161015_205926.jpg

20161015_205901.jpg

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lfs has had one for about a month now im uk , £260which works out at $318 US
Is that a good price , I look at him every time I'm in the shop
He's also smallish , would a 350 be big enough for him or should I just keep looking at him in the Lfs lol

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 350 is plenty. The fact that he has lived a month at the lfs can be good or bad. Good if he is eating and disease free, bad if he has been kept in a tiny tank under poor conditions without proper care for a month (he could be just about done in). I See them the size as mine for $225 and up all the time...this one was eating well, of good size and fat for only $150.... I am not sure if I will have any better luck than any others. I guess I'm hoping my larger(ish) tank, good flow and ozone to help kill off some of the parasites might help. If not, I may also add UV and try again later down the road.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to more achilles pics!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking forward to adding mine in the near future!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update....the spots on those pictures are either dirty glass, microbubbles, or dirt on my camera lens. There are no spots on the fish.....I think they are microbubbles as I have about 13,000gph just in power head activity and the heads are pretty close to the top and suck in a vortech of air a few times an hour.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may appear that they are pals .... they are not. Achilles and Sailfin spend most of their time trying to kill each other. Achilles is more aggressive, Sailfin is bigger so it's largely a draw.

IMG_9635_zpsy9c9czc5.jpg

OP
OP
armspar

armspar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I have a clown tang, blue hippo and a 6 months strong achilles. My trick was putting him in medicated tank every time he would get ick in the DT, seemingly allowing him to build immunity. Now for flow, I have relatively weak flow, and I feel that strong flow is just one of those things to help them acclimate to tank life. I can elaborate in detail on my exact tactic for my achilles if anyone wants to know...

He has doubled in size from when i bought him, and the orange line on the little spine has now turned into a large teardrop. By far my healthiest fish I have ever had

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may appear that they are pals .... they are not. Achilles and Sailfin spend most of their time trying to kill each other. Achilles is more aggressive, Sailfin is bigger so it's largely a draw.

IMG_9635_zpsy9c9czc5.jpg
Great picture, I love your tank! ;)

OP
OP
armspar

armspar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant figure out how to take a good picture of my achilles o_O, he moves to fast

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do want one of these once I get into a larger tank.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want one of these once I get into a larger tank.
Buy a small one that is adult enough to have a full teardrop. I don't know why but I've had the best luck with these and Achilles no larger than 4.5"

True juveniles (regardless of size if they don't have a true teardrop) are more difficult.

#1nebula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a small one that is adult enough to have a full teardrop. I don't know why but I've had the best luck with these and Achilles no larger than 4.5"

True juveniles (regardless of size if they don't have a true teardrop) are more difficult.
How much u selling them for?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much u selling them for?
I don't sell them except occasionally to local members but recently I don't have time to properly qt these guys. When I did I sold them for $300-400 depending on size. Lots of time and water changes and mess involved with proper treatment and qt

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks! Good tip. I'll remember that. :)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far mine is doing well. Too soon to call a success but he is fat and active. Will know in about 9 months. The initial acclimation was a success. He eats as much as i will feed and jas been in tank a past the length of multiple ich life cycles.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back