***Calling all Morish Idol***

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one today along with a lemon peel angel. Both are already picking at the rocks upon release. I did a ton of research on both but would like to hear first hand accounts about the MI. I got all sort of food available in the fridge along with some nori sheets.

Was told by my LFS he eats artic pods which i dont have. I know theyre not the easiest fish so anyone got any tips? Also the streamer is a bit short will it regrow?
TIA

Setlock13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some rock with encrusted sponge on it to ensure that it eats. Getting them to eat isn't too bad though and I've been told by people who've kept them for a while to get them eating pellets to have the best outcome. I've been feeding mine mysis, NLS pellets and mega marine (has sponge in it).

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Angel Formula 2 with sponge content in it. Ill try that and maybe some clams, mussels from the fridge.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idol doesn't eat pellets nor did the one I kept prior they eat a mixed medley of frozen foods strained and soaked in selcon, and tons of red nori and occasionally green nori. The key is to keep them fat. My first idol was harder to get eating and it took live black worms and live brine to get her started. Then other frozen then nori.

IMO nori is key and lots of it you want them fat as whales. IMO in environments that are disease free and that they're fat full of nori and mixed frozen or live offerings, they're pretty hardy if you buy good specimens. But again getting them to eat nori in my opinion is the single most important factor to their success in both of my cases and the case of a friend who has had his for a few years now.

Once they show their spine and they appear thin it's almost always all over.

Add to the frozen mix some angel formula with sponge.

Regarding the streamer, my little guy (3") has his bitten off or broken off by his large angel tank mates every few months and it grows back really fast (few weeks). My larger idol I kept before was slower to grow back (couple months).

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it his spine is showing :( Ive had tangs with pinch stomach amd they fully recovered but MI is another story i bet.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do your best man, MI are a delicate fish at best

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That link has some great tips. Right now my MI is eating like a pig. So far he has eaten mysis, brne and angel formula 2. He's always hungry and it shows He's running the tank as the alpha dog already, even my PBT doesnt dare mess with him.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back