Calyptraea chinensis??

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, these hats were alive the whole time on my hermit crab, but all I need to know is, are those actually the hat snail things that are glued to rocks at the beach?
20240401_135618.jpg
they never moved, they were always on the crab, my tank is basically a warm coast design, so I really need things that I see at the beach like barnacles, crabs, algae, coralline and most importantly those hat snails

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, these hats were alive the whole time on my hermit crab, but all I need to know is, are those actually the hat snail things that are glued to rocks at the beach?
20240401_135618.jpg
they never moved, they were always on the crab, my tank is basically a warm coast design, so I really need things that I see at the beach like barnacles, crabs, algae, coralline and most importantly those hat snails
With the tube/mouth (called a proboscis) visible in the pic, that tells me this is probably a Hoof Snail (taxonomic family Hipponicidae) rather than a Slipper Limpet/Hat Snail/Cup-and-Saucer Snail (Calyptraeidae):
Yeah, looks like either a Slipper Limpet (genus Crepidula) or a Hoof Snail (taxonomic family Hipponicidae) - both are harmless; slipper snails are filter feeders, and hoof snails feed by extending a long proboscis (think like an elephant's trunk) to eat either their host snail's waste or any food it can reach from its host's back.
As a note, at least some Calyptraeids are mobile as juveniles, and will feed like regular snails by grazing - as late juveniles/adults, though, they're sessile filter-feeders.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back