Can’t get GHA under control

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I am having another GHA outbreak and I just can’t get the algae out of my tank , its kee coming back even after all the attempts and cleaning the algae of the rock out of the tank.
It always reappear and takes over , specially the frags that get killed because of the algae.

I have atm a pencile and tuxedo urchin in my tank with around 10 small hermits and 3 large together with around 8 turbos in the past I had young tangs ( sailfins and scopus’s )from a friend of mine for a couple of months and then when there were to big give them back in exchange for a smaller one again . But recently the tang died from ich and took my algae eating blenny with him unfortunately. And now I am looking for new ways to destroy GHA and to get a way to keep it that way .

Any advice helps
Wb pen 25 ( since Jan 2023 with media from older tank Jan 2022)
Parameters:
Kh 12 ( ik it is high but my corline grows so fast this way )
Mg 1460 ( allot of consuming daily)
Ca 435
PO4 0,10
NO3 50 ( came from 90 bringing it down slowly)
S.G 1025 ( 35 )
25.8 Degrees Celsius
( ICP is testing atm )

Mangrove sapling

Juwel 200w heater ( ik it’s overkill )
ICE cap nano skimmer Kamper ato 2

Cuprisorph media seachem , fauna marine Phos remover , silicarbon remover.

Red Sea reef led 50 Maxspect fx240 gyre
Jebao slw 10 ( 2.4 ml daily Red Sea NOPOX

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running a white light spectrum, switch to a more blue spectrum.

Black out if possible

While your PO4 isn’t bad, I’d try to cut it in half, just to lessen that variable

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running a white light spectrum, switch to a more blue spectrum.

Black out if possible

While your PO4 isn’t bad, I’d try to cut it in half, just to lessen that variable
I also came from a 0.9 phosphate so atm happy it 0.1 because my Euphyllia seem to love it ( no sps except 1 stylo )
BFF84D6C-029F-4240-AAE4-32979FB95E1C.png

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been battling GHA?
I'd vote just keep at it -- manual removal.

For me, I feel like I fought it a bit for a couple of months when my tank was somewhere around the 4-8 month mark (bad timeline memory) but got passed it and no longer have that issue.

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been battling GHA?
I'd vote just keep at it -- manual removal.

For me, I feel like I fought it a bit for a couple of months when my tank was somewhere around the 4-8 month mark but got passed it and no longer have that issue.
I had around 4 / 5 out breaks and I manual remove the GHA with peroxide shortly and then placed the stones in a water bath and searching for little spots left that I scrape of with a tooth brush so it didn’t came in my tank it self but some how it keeps coming back andjusr trying to get corline algae in speed mode so it covers the rocks and protects it a little bit more against algae

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had around 4 / 5 out breaks and I manual remove the GHA with peroxide shortly and then placed the stones in a water bath and searching for little spots left that I scrape of with a tooth brush so it didn’t came in my tank it self but some how it keeps coming back andjusr trying to get corline algae in speed mode so it covers the rocks and protects it a little bit more against algae
I suggest that you may be making your situation worse by scrubbing the rock. Pluck it, yes.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your removal battle has been going on for a couple of months, I'd still vote to keep pulling it out (manually).
If you've been at it for 6 months, then I'd maybe think about changing my answer (but not sure to what).

I went with:
-- just pull out clumps of GHA as often as possible
-- occasionally pull a few rocks into separate bin of saltwater to scrub with toothbrush

H2O2 kills algae but also other stuff so I don't see a problem with scrubbing some spots with peroxide but if you're soaking entire rock portions you MAY want to rethink that. *wasn't exactly clear on how you're going about it though

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest that you may be making your situation worse by scrubbing the rock. Pluck it, yes.
even with doing it outside the tank in a separate bin with water in so I can see where I need to scrub ?

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your removal battle has been going on for a couple of months, I'd still vote to keep pulling it out (manually).
If you've been at it for 6 months, then I'd maybe think about changing my answer (but not sure to what).

I went with:
-- just pull out clumps of GHA as often as possible
-- occasionally pull a few rocks into separate bin of saltwater to scrub with toothbrush

H2O2 kills algae but also other stuff so I don't see a problem with scrubbing some spots with peroxide but if you're soaking entire rock portions you MAY want to rethink that. *wasn't exactly clear on how you're going about it thoughIt
It is atm for almost a month now in a stage where it is to short to pull it out and covering the rock slowly but not getting “ higher “

cappa43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I am having another GHA outbreak and I just can’t get the algae out of my tank , its kee coming back even after all the attempts and cleaning the algae of the rock out of the tank.
It always reappear and takes over , specially the frags that get killed because of the algae.

I have atm a pencile and tuxedo urchin in my tank with around 10 small hermits and 3 large together with around 8 turbos in the past I had young tangs ( sailfins and scopus’s )from a friend of mine for a couple of months and then when there were to big give them back in exchange for a smaller one again . But recently the tang died from ich and took my algae eating blenny with him unfortunately. And now I am looking for new ways to destroy GHA and to get a way to keep it that way .

Any advice helps
Wb pen 25 ( since Jan 2023 with media from older tank Jan 2022)
Parameters:
Kh 12 ( ik it is high but my corline grows so fast this way )
Mg 1460 ( allot of consuming daily)
Ca 435
PO4 0,10
NO3 50 ( came from 90 bringing it down slowly)
S.G 1025 ( 35 )
25.8 Degrees Celsius
( ICP is testing atm )

Mangrove sapling

Juwel 200w heater ( ik it’s overkill )
ICE cap nano skimmer Kamper ato 2

Cuprisorph media seachem , fauna marine Phos remover , silicarbon remover.

Red Sea reef led 50 Maxspect fx240 gyre
Jebao slw 10 ( 2.4 ml daily Red Sea NOPOX
Well, my tank is 7 months and I should be well on my way….Ahhh! Full Stop ! GHA inundated my tank. I watched every video, asked many questions to my LFS. Decided on Flux Powder. Kinda worked (everything was fine in the tank including clam) scrubbed the rocks did 30% WC after 2 weeks. In the interim I was wondering why it took 5 hrs to make 5 gallons of RODI water. Bought a booster on Black Friday, pressure at 25. Changed all the filters while I was on the phone with the guy about the hook up. Here comes the kicker. I never had the black diverter valve perpendicular to the valve. I was using the flush water the entire 7 months. Now I’m at 70 PSI making 5G of water in an hour. Did another 20% WC. Real RODI in the ATO & Kalk fast forward a week. Scrubbed the rocks got rid of the super fine sand the guy at a different store sold me and what do you know? GHA Gone! Barely anything left, water is super clear everything is right with the world. I was almost at the point of throwing in the towel. Moral of the story. You have to go back to basics…. water check, testing check, flow check….lights check. I’m giving it another week the I’ll put a denser dry sand in by washing it in Rodi water which is now bountiful. Considering I was so stoked I made 30 Gallons after running the new filters for 2 hours. Wow what a lesson !!! TDS was 100 something now 1…lol
image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back