Can Aiptasia disappear?

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fight with aiptasia for 2 years now.

I use kalk paste on it. And it always back, always.

Last time, I used the same kalk paste and for 1 month now aiptasia is gone. Completely.

I have no fish that eat it. It disappear and the same time, when dinos was back.

Any idea if aiptasia can disappeared of its own?

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't feed your tank for months, it should disappear on its own. But so will your fish and corals :upside-down-face:

On a more serious note, I had a small aiptasia problem. I added the right peppermint shrimps and a few weeks later, these pests were gone. I didn't do any other intervention.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so! I got a sick Copperband butterfly fish that worked them out of my main display and he is moved to a second tank where he’s disappearing them there.

I have seen tanks where they remained in check but never disappeared with out work. You seem to have won the battle which is not an easy thing to do ime.

I wonder if you added Burghia nudibranches along the way?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got tired of you ;)
looks like your tank is more mature, they like more dirt and suspended matter in the water, so maybe it’s gone.
It can thrive without a light though, so it may still be somwhere in a sump or pipes.
Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nope. Just a pepermint shrimps, but I didnt see them for a 6 months, they're all dead I guess.
When theyre gone, theyre usually gone. Dino does have low level toxins that could impact them. I have total success with Kalk paste method

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used berghia nudibranches. It takes a few weeks, maybe even a month or so before you really see a difference and then BOOM, aiptasia disappearing!
I had a few that were so big, or rock so covered, i thought the battle was impossible.
I am about to start a separate tank just to reproduce aiptasia now! I never thought I would intentionally want it, but the berghias will starve without it.
I placed a rock from another tank that was covered in aiptasia and within a few hours the berghia were all over destroying it. They are running out of food! So if you have not tried that, I strongly recommend those!
I was kind of amazed at how effective they have been. Good luck!

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me, I've been lazy about removing/treating the 2 big ones I see. One on is on the sand bed and should be easy to pluck out and the other is in a rock and will require kalk paste.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used berghia nudibranches. It takes a few weeks, maybe even a month or so before you really see a difference and then BOOM, aiptasia disappearing!
I had a few that were so big, or rock so covered, i thought the battle was impossible.
I am about to start a separate tank just to reproduce aiptasia now! I never thought I would intentionally want it, but the berghias will starve without it.
I placed a rock from another tank that was covered in aiptasia and within a few hours the berghia were all over destroying it. They are running out of food! So if you have not tried that, I strongly recommend those!
I was kind of amazed at how effective they have been. Good luck!
did you have any type of shrimp in your tank during the time the berghias were doing the work?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one in my fish tank this evening. Got out the hammer and busted it out of there. I hope it was the last of them, but I figure they are hiding in other places too.

Pizza Yes GIF

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you have any type of shrimp in your tank during the time the berghias were doing the work?
Negative. I have tried peppermint shrimp, but they never seem to live long enough, or never truly did what I needed.
Berghias were new to me, so this was a test run, and I am impressed! I have heard peppermint shrimp may kill the Berghia, so you may have an issue there if that is your dilemma.
I will note, I have a few emerald crabs, one is a giant, and none of them ever bothered the Berghia from what I could tell. I know my Berghia have bred as I see babies now too, so if the crabs are eating them, they cannot keep up. But I have watched the crabs directly next to the Berghia and no issues.

I heard wrasses will kill the Berghia too just fyi.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back