Can anyone Wrasse ID please

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, a few hours ago I was watching a video by Reef Dork on youtube and I saw what I believe to be a wrasse in his tank but for the life of me I cannot figure out which one it is. It has a yellow stripe lengthwise and rounded dark dorsal and pectoral fins. It is absolutely gorgeous IMO so I’d definitely consider adding it to my stock wish list lol! here is the link to the video, it is best seen around minute mark 8:50 I’ve also attached a picture of it

Thank you in advance for y’all help :)

IMG_0375.png

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically we’ve only been talking about fairy wrasse. Flashers are their closest relatives. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

And if you think fairies are pretty wait for flashers…

This is why I need all the learning/guidance I can get lol!

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure both @Slocke and I spend at least 40 minutes a day searching the forum for any post with the word "wrasse" in it so we can talk about and post pictures of all our favorite wrasse. You should also consider a possum wrasse. They swim like aliens and mostly live in caves in the wild. Great pest eaters and immensely peaceful. Also usually left alone by kther fish
1000004039.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what a blue line flasher wrasse looks like when it's flashing. They do this as they dive dart across the tank repeatedly
1000000804.jpg

Ok yeah my tank will def have a leaning towards fairy and flasher wrasses. Initially I was all about the tangs but after seeing Reef Dork’s vid and all his wrasses I’m starting to change my mind. How many wrasses do you reckon I could keep in a tank my size? The filtration will include a reefmat, skimmer and a chaeto refugium, so I doubt i’ll have any struggles with nutrient export.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure both @Slocke and I spend at least 40 minutes a day searching the forum for any post with the word "wrasse" in it so we can talk about and post pictures of all our favorite wrasse. You should also consider a possum wrasse. They swim like aliens and mostly live in caves in the wild. Great pest eaters and immensely peaceful. Also usually left alone by kther fish
1000004039.jpg
I’m the noobiest noob when it comes to wrasses, I’d never even seen a possum wrasse, idk why in the past I was always a member of the tang gang but now I’m switching my loyalty lol!
My previous tank had:
-Purple tang
-Yellow tang
-Pacific blue tang
-Sailfin tang
-Orange shoulder tang
-Tomini tang
-Powder blue tang
-Blonde naso tang
All cohabitating peacefully, so with this new set up I was aiming for similar stock but yeah I think it’ll be less tang and more wrasses. I’m looking into either a gem or black tang so they can be the point of attention y’know.

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the noobiest noob when it comes to wrasses, I’d never even seen a possum wrasse, idk why in the past I was always a member of the tang gang but now I’m switching my loyalty lol!
My previous tank had:
-Purple tang
-Yellow tang
-Pacific blue tang
-Sailfin tang
-Orange shoulder tang
-Tomini tang
-Powder blue tang
-Blonde naso tang
All cohabitating peacefully, so with this new set up I was aiming for similar stock but yeah I think it’ll be less tang and more wrasses. I’m looking into either a gem or black tang so they can be the point of attention y’know.
The big difference is wrasse aren't really utility fish outside sixlines/pinkstreaks, possums, and halichoeres. They won't help with algae. They're mostly there to look pretty (which they do very well) and they're somewhat short-lived. That's what imo makes them slightly less common

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big difference is wrasse aren't really utility fish outside sixlines/pinkstreaks, possums, and halichoeres. They won't help with algae. They're mostly there to look pretty (which they do very well) and they're somewhat short-lived. That's what imo makes them slightly less common
I’m now starting to get ideas for alternative stock to deal with algae, like a foxface, lawnmower blenny, or a few bristle tooth tangs.

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yeah my tank will def have a leaning towards fairy and flasher wrasses. Initially I was all about the tangs but after seeing Reef Dork’s vid and all his wrasses I’m starting to change my mind. How many wrasses do you reckon I could keep in a tank my size? The filtration will include a reefmat, skimmer and a chaeto refugium, so I doubt i’ll have any struggles with nutrient export.
15 easy.
A few flashers, a few fairies, a few Halichoeres, a couple leopards, and if you want a challenge a tamarin.

Possums and pink streaks are great but might disappear in that large of a tank.

Finally a cleaner wrasse but I would only get a captive bred one like biota sell.

My previous tank had:
-Purple tang
-Yellow tang
-Pacific blue tang
-Sailfin tang
-Orange shoulder tang
-Tomini tang
-Powder blue tang
-Blonde naso tang
Unfortunately the gem tang will look a bit ugly next to the yellowtail tamarin you get!! But if you want to spend several hundred on the ugly imitator it’s your money ;).
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

1000004039.jpg
Why aren’t you on the wrasse lovers thread more then?!:crying-face:
I’m now starting to get ideas for alternative stock to deal with algae, like a foxface, lawnmower blenny, or a few bristle tooth tangs.
Foxes are good but I’ve never had an algae issue that a Mexican turbo can’t solve better then any fish. Never had a tang and never had an algae problem.
(OK I had a tang for like a few days but quickly regretted it).

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 easy.
A few flashers, a few fairies, a few Halichoeres, a couple leopards, and if you want a challenge a tamarin.

Finally a cleaner wrasse but I would only get a captive bred one like biota sell.
I’m planning on getting a couple mandarins from the biota group, I was looking at their cleaner wrasses but idk how I feel about them not having enough of their “natural food”, like you wouldn't feed a dog only vegetables, like yeah they can eat them and tolerate them but they’ll probably suffer in the long term, same with the cleaner wrasses not having enough fish mucus and parasites to live a long healthy life. What do you think? Worth it to get a captive bred one and supplementing with frozen food?
Unfortunately the gem tang will look a bit ugly next to the yellowtail tamarin you get!! But if you want to spend several hundred on the ugly imitator it’s your money ;).
lmaoooo ok let me see a tamarin in person first and I’ll get back to you, in picture it’s stunning but man a gem tang in person is truly breathtaking lol! My mom called it “a little constellation” lol
Foxes are good but I’ve never had an algae issue that a Mexican turbo can’t solve better then any fish. Never had a tang and never had an algae problem.
Ok now I’m obligated to get mexican turbos since I’m mexican myself lol! I gotta rep my peoples
Why’d you regret the tang?

I just thought of one more question. What is your stance in regards to wrasses needing a deep sandbed?

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 easy.

IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

Why aren’t you on the wrasse lovers thread more then?!:crying-face:

I'll try to stop by more often :). It's hard since the only current one is the possum, and she's always cruising the caves like you said they hide well in bigger tanks. Will keep an eye out for her lol

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on getting a couple mandarins from the biota group, I was looking at their cleaner wrasses but idk how I feel about them not having enough of their “natural food”, like you wouldn't feed a dog only vegetables, like yeah they can eat them and tolerate them but they’ll probably suffer in the long term, same with the cleaner wrasses not having enough fish mucus and parasites to live a long healthy life. What do you think? Worth it to get a captive bred one and supplementing with frozen food?
I have a wild caught cleaner in my 4’ tank with my large bodied fish. As long as they have large bodied fish they’ll always have a reason to be cleaning - It’s not just parasites they feed on naturally but also they can help with shedding mucous layers, dead scales and I believe also dead skin. Mine is a right fatty when it comes to feeding time (albeit all my wrasses end up with incredibly fat bellies).

I just thought of one more question. What is your stance in regards to wrasses needing a deep sandbed?
IMHO, wrasses that sleep in the sand will want a 2-3” sand bed to dive into at night or when stressed. Not all wrasses sleep in the sand. It’s mainly these genera;
Anampses
Macropharyngodon
Halichoeres
Pseudojuloides
Xenojulis

Whilst these genera create mucous cocoons in the rockwork;
Labroides
Cirrhilabrus
Wetmorella
Pseudocheilinops
Pseudocheilinus
(Avoid at all costs.)
Paracheilinus

here’s just a few of my wrasses to fuel your love for them ;)

Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus - young transitional male
IMG_9125.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus isosceles - mature male
IMG_8986.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus - mature male
IMG_8962.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa - mature male
IMG_8950.jpeg

Paracheilinus carpenteri - transitional male (at the end of the transition now)
IMG_8940.jpeg

Labroides dimidatus
IMG_8961.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis - very young juvenile
IMG_8957.jpeg

Paracheilinus attenuatus - mature male
IMG_8237.jpeg

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred are raised on tank food. They will still clean your food but you don’t have to worry about them going hungry. I’ve had two and they both grew fast. Also they are probably the smartest fish in the world.
lmaoooo ok let me see a tamarin in person first and I’ll get back to you, in picture it’s stunning but man a gem tang in person is truly breathtaking lol! My mom called it “a little constellation” lol
Imo they are very similar but the yellowtail has a more vibrant tail and eyespots.
Ok now I’m obligated to get mexican turbos since I’m mexican myself lol! I gotta rep my peoples
Why’d you regret the tang?
Had velvet. Didn’t QT at the time. Lost some of my favorite fish.
But yeah turbos are awesome. I’d say the biggest issue is having enough algae for them to eat lol.
Agree with I can’t think! 2-3”

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wild caught cleaner in my 4’ tank with my large bodied fish. As long as they have large bodied fish they’ll always have a reason to be cleaning - It’s not just parasites they feed on naturally but also they can help with shedding mucous layers, dead scales and I believe also dead skin. Mine is a right fatty when it comes to feeding time (albeit all my wrasses end up with incredibly fat bellies).

IMHO, wrasses that sleep in the sand will want a 2-3” sand bed to dive into at night or when stressed. Not all wrasses sleep in the sand. It’s mainly these genera;
Anampses
Macropharyngodon
Halichoeres
Pseudojuloides
Xenojulis

Whilst these genera create mucous cocoons in the rockwork;
Labroides
Cirrhilabrus
Wetmorella
Pseudocheilinops
Pseudocheilinus
(Avoid at all costs.)
Paracheilinus

here’s just a few of my wrasses to fuel your love for them ;)

Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus - young transitional male
IMG_9125.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus isosceles - mature male
IMG_8986.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus - mature male
IMG_8962.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa - mature male
IMG_8950.jpeg

Paracheilinus carpenteri - transitional male (at the end of the transition now)
IMG_8940.jpeg

Labroides dimidatus
IMG_8961.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis - very young juvenile
IMG_8957.jpeg

Paracheilinus attenuatus - mature male
IMG_8237.jpeg
Geez theyre gorgeous !
Thank you for your advice, and if I end up deciding to go BB I’ll be sure to only get wrasses that don’t require sand. Btw more than a decade ago (like 15 years or more probably) when I had my small 30 gal tank I kept a 6 line wrasse with a pair of black clowns and 3 fire gobies with absolutely no issues, now I know how lucky I got with it lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred are raised on tank food. They will still clean your food but you don’t have to worry about them going hungry. I’ve had two and they both grew fast. Also they are probably the smartest fish in the world.
Awesome! Ok so I’ll give em a thought, I’ve always enjoyed seeing their cleaning behavior and that bright blue coloration is amazing.
Agree with I can’t think! 2-3”
If I go BB I’ll stick with having only ones that don’t need sand.
Had velvet. Didn’t QT at the time. Lost some of my favorite fish.
Ooof…. I can imagine how gutted you must have been, I’m sorry to hear that. May the be in fishy heaven now

Upvote 0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some nice wrasses, now and in the past.
For the live of me, I go over the tread twice and cannot come up with your tank size.
You may want to read the sticky thread Wrasse lover thread. You will see plenty of pictures of nice wrasses. Then you can do search of care requirement of these wrasses.
For the Naoko Fairy, here is mine. They are very fast and somewhat of an aggressive side Fairy. Beautiful and interesting fish.
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
NaokoFairy2020041304.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some nice wrasses, now and in the past.
For the live of me, I go over the tread twice and cannot come up with your tank size.
You may want to read the sticky thread Wrasse lover thread. You will see plenty of pictures of nice wrasses. Then you can do search of care requirement of these wrasses.
For the Naoko Fairy, here is mine. They are very fast and somewhat of an aggressive side Fairy. Beautiful and interesting fish.
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
NaokoFairy2020041304.jpg
They are stunning! As I had mentioned previously they’re definitely going into the stock wishlist lol! And I’m receiving my tank this Tuesday after more than a year of planning and researching ( I have been out of the hobby for a looooong time) it’ll be 8’Lx2’Wx2.5’H, so like 260 gal with a 75 gal sump

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back