Can fish eat bad or expired seafood?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I work in a seafood department and I’m just wondering if they can safely eat bad or expired seafood not safe for human consumption…like dead clams? Has anyone given them old or bad seafood? Or is this a bad idea?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a seafood department and I’m just wondering if they can safely eat bad or expired seafood not safe for human consumption…like dead clams? Has anyone given them old or bad seafood? Or is this a bad idea?
I think food expiration dates are typically on the conservative side long before the food gets really funky.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think food expiration dates are typically on the conservative side long before the food gets really funky.
True! Depending on what it is…but you’d be surprised at how fast certain fish does go bad. That being said fresh fish has a shelf life of 6 days to sell it at my work and according to one of the largest seafood manufacturers in the country who tells us. And people jump at that lol.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as food stays frozen, expiration date does not mean much. Plus yes date are very conservative, and 1 or 2 month should not matter much. However I would not do it if it is over a year. Food may be safe to eat, but nutrition would not be there.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as food stays frozen, expiration date does not mean much. Plus yes date are very conservative, and 1 or 2 month should not matter much. However I would not do it if it is over a year. Food may be safe to eat, but nutrition would not be there.
That’s true but I was referring to fresh fish not frozen. So is fresh fish not a good idea? Or fresh clams?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many years in the restaurant business. Shelf lives are quite conservative to protect the public (and the business). In my opinion, the nose knows. If smells funky, it is funky. If it smells ok, then it should be ok. Also if it is extra slimy or discolored, them stay away. If you got a large quantity of something that was just outside of shelf life. You could use a bit and freeze the rest in portions that would last a couple days each.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out-of-date (but actually fine to eat) seafood: yes. That's an issue of palatability at most, though frozen out-of-date stuff is likely to have less nutrition.
Genuinely SPOILED seafood, i.e. dead clams: no. That's a good way to make something sick.

Clams in particular go nasty fast once they die. Don't feed that to anything, except bacteria.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each type of seafood has a recommended best by date which refers to the nutritional value maintaining it's viability. If you want your fish to get nutritionally viable food then yes, the expiration is important. Most humans don't get the concept that many times fish will die prematurely due to nutritional deficiencies. Many of the species we keep live over a decade to decades in the wild, while some due to nutritional deficiencies will die well short of that. I post many threads in reference to nutrition to predatory fish, and feeding old expired seafood is one major contributor in premature deaths.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each type of seafood has a recommended best by date which refers to the nutritional value maintaining it's viability. If you want your fish to get nutritionally viable food then yes, the expiration is important. Most humans don't get the concept that many times fish will die prematurely due to nutritional deficiencies. Many of the species we keep live over a decade to decades in the wild, while some due to nutritional deficiencies will die well short of that. I post many threads in reference to nutrition to predatory fish, and feeding old expired seafood is one major contributor in premature deaths.
I defer to people with more knowledge than me. Fish might be more complicated than humans. Do what they said, not what I said!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back