Can I get a single clown?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers.

I currently have a 15g aio cube tank, with one firefish and one tailspot blenny. Tomorrow, I want to pick up my last fish. Both of my fish just hide all day, so I thought that a clown would add more activity to the tank. I have thought of the idea of getting 2, but I feel like 4 fish in a 15g would be too much. I also don't want to deal with the aggression that a mated pair could have. I am not sure if a single clown would become a problem or not. Please let me know of your thoughts. Thanks.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I think that works.
Some concern for fire fish, mines a bit sliddish.
Start small.
Yeah, I would definitely get the smallest one there. I also am going to get a "jail," to have just in case if I see aggression. I am talking about those in-tank boxes that clip onto the side of the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey fellow reefers.

I currently have a 15g aio cube tank, with one firefish and one tailspot blenny. Tomorrow, I want to pick up my last fish. Both of my fish just hide all day, so I thought that a clown would add more activity to the tank. I have thought of the idea of getting 2, but I feel like 4 fish in a 15g would be too much. I also don't want to deal with the aggression that a mated pair could have. I am not sure if a single clown would become a problem or not. Please let me know of your thoughts. Thanks.
Absolutely. Ive had one only several times

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do fine single. Pairs are cool but not necessary.

EDIT: kudos for not packing a small tank with too many fish. Many problems are caused by too many fish in a small area.
Thanks! I try my best. I didn't want to have to deal with the problems down the road, and I believe that fish deserve their space, and if I overstocked it I would be mistreating these beautiful animals.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4 fish could be fine in your 15, but that's just my opinion. I know that's sort of pushing it, but if everything seems stable why not? I've got 4 in my 13.5, fully stocked with fish haha. Everything seem's fine, but that's just my slice of pie!

If you do end up getting a clown, maybe try and get a juvenile one? That also might help and make sure he/she grows to get along. I've never really had any issues with agression, despite adding my pair of clowns first before my gramma and watchman! They actually swim alongside my gramma sometimes.

Excited to see an update tomorrow if you go through! Any specific clown species you like?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4 fish could be fine in your 15, but that's just my opinion. I know that's sort of pushing it, but if everything seems stable why not? I've got 4 in my 13.5, fully stocked with fish haha. Everything seem's fine, but that's just my slice of pie!

If you do end up getting a clown, maybe try and get a juvenile one? That also might help and make sure he/she grows to get along. I've never really had any issues with agression, despite adding my pair of clowns first before my gramma and watchman! They actually swim alongside my gramma sometimes.

Excited to see an update tomorrow if you go through! Any specific clown species you like?
I think the basic ocellaris look really cool. So probably that. They are also cheaper lol.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back