Can I just use any fluorescent light for my corals?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying lights you definitely have to do girl math. You have to figure costs over time, and LEDs are the least expensive. With T5s and MH, you are dumping in money annually and you do not have the control that you have with a decent set of LEDs. TBH, not sure why Halides are still a thing. Huge, expansive lightbulbs, and drain electricity like nothing else.
I've broke two LEDs over 3 years and I have no clue how to maintain or repair them. Not going to take that risk because if it fails it's going to be replacing the whole light.

also yeah mine rn are just not powerful enough

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious about halides to an extent, but I can't find any aquarium specific ones for sale locally... best there are are plant lights. I've heard they grow corals better but can't find any experimental info on that.
You dont need any experimental info.....Halides are provedn and are the best. I used to run them, as did million sof others......its been almost 20 year snow...then T5's and now LEDs.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700168219847.png

Like these? 600 watt growth light. I'm not sure what bulbs are good for these but there's apparently an overwhelming majority confirming halides do work.
yes exactly that, I can't tell if thats a high pressure sodium bulb or a metal halide bulb

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind a 600 watt bulb gets very hot and costs quite a bit in electricity, but if the end goal is to grow sps particularly acros you really can't beat a high intensity discharge lamp

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind a 600 watt bulb gets very hot and costs quite a bit in electricity, but if the end goal is to grow sps particularly acros you really can't beat a high intensity discharge lamp
Might as well... my heater's ancient and that's the only component in my tank that I'm truly afraid of.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is I can't find any high - power leds locally and I've heard reports that they're less effective than t5s and metal halides. It's also a lot more difficult to fix them when they inevitably break.
I now use these...and at the price, can't be beat, and free shipping (at least to US).

and the smaller one's are on close-out also

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying lights you definitely have to do girl math. You have to figure costs over time, and LEDs are the least expensive. With T5s and MH, you are dumping in money annually and you do not have the control that you have with a decent set of LEDs. TBH, not sure why Halides are still a thing. Huge, expansive lightbulbs, and drain electricity like nothing else.
Because the spectrum can’t be beat! They also put out real uv that leds don’t.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure if it comes with the bulb. Which kind of bulbs should I use with halide? Just generic halide bulb or is there a specific type?
you want to make sure it's a HID (high intensity discharge) bulb and in the correct spectrum for what you are doing. they make a lot for like street lamps and in home use that come at like 4k spectrum and you really don't want that. they are cheap these days just take a look around and find one thats the correct wattage and spectrum or go into any local grow store and they should be able to point you in the right direction

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700168219847.png

Like these? 600 watt growth light. I'm not sure what bulbs are good for these but there's apparently an overwhelming majority confirming halides do work.
Gonna be impossible to find good bulbs for our uses in that wattage.. 150,175,250 and 400 are the standard sizes of reef aquarium bulbs… these are getting harder and harder to find! You can use that reflector but need a ballast in one of those wattages… all bulbs will fit that mogul base.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also 600 watts is probably a bit excessive for a 80 gallon maybe look for something more like 250W or 400W

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use these...and at the price, can't be beat, and free shipping (at least to US).

and the smaller one's are on close-out also
How do you repair these if they stop working? My biggest issue with leds is that when they break I can't fix them and I can't stop them from breaking. Another one just bit the dust last week(granted, that was my amazon macro light) but I've got a bunch of expensive lights upstairs that are just no longer usable.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you repair these if they stop working? My biggest issue with leds is that when they break I can't fix them and I can't stop them from breaking. Another one just bit the dust last week(granted, that was my amazon macro light) but I've got a bunch of expensive lights upstairs that are just no longer usable.
Nothing against Amazon, but there you have it.....and if you have an expensive set, you need to take it in to get fixed....it usually the resistors that burn out.....

Reefifier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The thing is I can't find any high - power leds locally and I've heard reports that they're less effective than t5s and metal halides. It's also a lot more difficult to fix them when they inevitably break.
Look at some black boxes. Viparspectra rins about 130 and you can grow acros in a 20x20" space under those. Additionally you can fiddle with them and get even better light from them. I have 500 par or royal blue in the middle of mine.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some black boxes. Viparspectra rins about 130 and you can grow acros in a 20x20" space under those. Additionally you can fiddle with them and get even better light from them. I have 500 par or royal blue in the middle of mine.
I was also looking at a viparspectra 450. they're a bit more difficult to come by. Still have the issue where I have no clue how to repair them, but ig they exist...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back