Can I mix Vinegar and amino acids?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
Can you see problems or benefits from dropping liquid Amino acids in the Vinegar container?

My expectation is that vinegar will work as a preservative and not change the properties of AA.

I dose Vinegar and amino acids daily, on a ULNS. Vinegar is on a dosing pump, AA are manually dosed and I would like to automate AA dosing, too.
However, the only brand of AA that claims it can be hooked to a pump is acropower, which I think is too diluted and expensive.
I've had better results with either seachem's AA or 100% reef safe AA.

Has anyone tried it? Does it make sense?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the vitamins may begin to decompose. Vitamin C may oxidize and others may hydrolyze.

Vinegar helps preserve against bacterial issues, but not against chemical oxidation and hydrolysis.

OP
OP
FranklinDattein

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Vinegar + Aminoacids for the past 10 days and so far so good. It is still too early to celebrate, but this is what I found so far:
- The mix remains homogeneous, hence no need for a magnetic stirrer.
- Since I went ULNS, some softies like GSP and zoas have gone pale. Both are coloring up again.
- Previously the skimmer would increase skimmate right after AA dosing. This is no longer happening, for obvious reasons.
- I have an acro with burt tips, from an alk spike 2 months ago, which wasn't producing any new tissues. Its tissue is now recovering by the day. Unfortunately, I can't be sure it is the vinegar+aa mix, because I also switched off a chiller that was causing strain voltage.
- SPS polyp extension went from mostly at night to 24hs, but that could also be because of no more strain voltage.

It is worth saying the amounts of Vinegar and AA I dose, remain roughly the same as before.

Mix is 800ml Vinegar + 100ml Seachem Reef Plus AA
Daily dose is 120ml on a 180l tank, spread over 24hs period.

marke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Vinegar + Aminoacids for the past 10 days and so far so good. It is still too early to celebrate, but this is what I found so far:
- The mix remains homogeneous, hence no need for a magnetic stirrer.
- Since I went ULNS, some softies like GSP and zoas have gone pale. Both are coloring up again.
- Previously the skimmer would increase skimmate right after AA dosing. This is no longer happening, for obvious reasons.
- I have an acro with burt tips, from an alk spike 2 months ago, which wasn't producing any new tissues. Its tissue is now recovering by the day. Unfortunately, I can't be sure it is the vinegar+aa mix, because I also switched off a chiller that was causing strain voltage.
- SPS polyp extension went from mostly at night to 24hs, but that could also be because of no more strain voltage.

It is worth saying the amounts of Vinegar and AA I dose, remain roughly the same as before.

Mix is 800ml Vinegar + 100ml Seachem Reef Plus AA
Daily dose is 120ml on a 180l tank, spread over 24hs period.
I mix vinegar and ME amines with good results.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back