Can I put more silicone over new (but dried) silicone when sealing glass aquarium?

OP
OP
That Reefer Man

That Reefer Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: So i bought another used 100 gallon, and set it up so I could get my fish back in to something larger, they were tearing each other up in the 35 gal hospital tank

I have a friend that is letting me use is garage for taking apart the other tank. I want to completely take it apart... so far i have all the silicone scraped off from the inside but now i need to buy a putty knife to get the trim off top and bottom. My questions about this: when i put the silicone between the panels, do i use that excess as the silicone on the inside or do i wipe it clean, then re=apply more silicone on the inside?

thanks for all the replies you have really helped me out!

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wipe it clean of the excess and wipe it down with the acetone. Let it cure for at Least 3 or 4 days, a week is better. Then apply the clear silicone and let it cure for a week and then do your water test

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone has given great advice, I've done a few tanks using these methods. Just take your time and wear gloves. Let it cure for a week. if its really cold where the tank is I let it cure for two+

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone actually sticks great to silicone...do it all the time. the problem is the old silicone is not stuck to the glass, no adhesion or a pinhole. Best product to clean with before sealing to glass is Isopropyl alcohol due to a high flash point (evaporation). I would cut out area of leak the best you can and reseal. Dow makes the best sealant product on the market. Dries tacky in in a few hours with acid cure. Structural sets in 2 to 3 weeks.
Best of luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back