Can I turn my wet dry into a regular sump?

Travis Russell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0111171527a.jpg
0111171527b.jpg

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not currently hooked up. Basically I took out the eggcrate and bioballs and then used it as a sump. First section was the skimmer. Second section I had some Chaeto and third section was the return pump

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First section is skimmer and a homemade filter sock kinda thing for inlet (need to change as its backing up, I change daily but could get a corner clip on filter sock holder if that's your kind of thing) in between I mashed some media (carbon, phosguard, and chemipur elite) then final section is return pumps. One goes to main display second goes to a 14gal cube to the right and returns via an eshopee overflow. I just build a small box stand to lift the refugium up enough to get a good siphon back into return section to take pods and whatnot to the display. So far so good. I think a change to a whole new sump would be more of a headache for me than i could see benefits.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reef_Collector28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a perfect wet dry to make it into a sump/refugium. Get yourself a filter sock holder that hangs( if you are going to run a sock). I'd do the big compartment as my return pump area/ last baffle. The middle is perfect for refugium and the first baffle looks big enough for a skimmer.

OP
OP
Travis Russell

Travis Russell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0113171129.jpg

So what if I use the socks and live rock in the first area, return pumps in the middle and skimmer in the third? I also have a corallite uv sterilizer? Where does that go?
0113171129a.jpg

With the 2 Rio 3100s will I need extra power heads?

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work at moment, but if haven't gotten an answer by time I'm off I'll tag you in how I'd set it up. Purely my own suggestion, something else may work better for what you want to do however.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it were me, I'd do filter sock hangers on chamber 1 with live rock rubble (current one with the skimmer in it), chamber 2 (center) I would do the skimmer and uv sterilizer as your mechanical filtration. Can build an eggcrate wall and add your chemical filtration (chemipur elite, carbon, phosguard, etc. whatever you plan to use). Last chamber I would do as the return section. Least modifications to the current setup that way. By having skimmer in mid section between the inlet and return you're guarantee good flow to and from the skimmer. With the chemical filtration in bags you'll also ensure good flow through your media. With that type of a setup and no walls to flow over you will show evaporation across the whole system rather than just the return section so an ato can be added to any section if end up doing that, but I'd just add to the return section to keep clutter down.

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 chamber eshopp wet/dry. How would I convert that into a sump or am I better off just making a sump from a 20 long?

CtrlAltDelete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 chamber eshopp wet/dry. How would I convert that into a sump or am I better off just making a sump from a 20 long?

Came here to ask about that. I’m thinking of adding some acrylic baffles. Make a bubble trap which can also House my phosgarud and bio filter, then on to refugium, then pump back up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back