Can I use CO2 scrubber media in a bag like carbon and GFO?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is apparently more efficient and effective to run carbon and GFO in reactors, but I have an AIO and just place bags in my back chamber and they seem to do fine. I don't run a skimmer. Can I do the same with CO2 scrubber media or does it require a scrubber?

My pH runs consistently 7.6 -7.8. I'd like to get it above 8.0 for better coral growth.

I know not to use excessive carbon, because too much is not more effective, just wasteful. And I know using too much GFO can bottom out my PO4. Are there similar concerns with CO2 scrubber media?

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is apparently more efficient and effective to run carbon and GFO in reactors, but I have an AIO and just place bags in my back chamber and they seem to do fine. I don't run a skimmer. Can I do the same with CO2 scrubber media or does it require a scrubber?

My pH runs consistently 7.6 -7.8. I'd like to get it above 8.0 for better coral growth.

I know not to use excessive carbon, because too much is not more effective, just wasteful. And I know using too much GFO can bottom out my PO4. Are there similar concerns with CO2 scrubber media?
If you want to increase ph then just dose kale using a dosing pump.

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not place CO2 scrubber media in the tank water. Normally the CO2 scrubber media goes in a reactor that is connected to the air intake on your skimmer. Dosing kalkwasser with a dosing pump is the best option to keep ph up (in my opinion). I use the Chris Meckley method. I have run a CO2 scrubber in the past and it definitely helped. However the media gets expensive and once I started dosing Kalk I felt it was not necessary. If however you do not want to dose kalk, BRS sells a very basic reactor for around $40. That is the one I used.

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a co2 scrubber for my 69g from a gentleman here and it works well. So easy to set up. Just hook up hose to venturi on your skimmer

Im
not even recirculating it back into the skimmer and the media is still a decent amount white after 2 weeks and i’m getting a stable 8.3-8.4.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back