Can I use Loctite brand super glue in my reef tank??!!

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many times that lots of people use 'Super Glue' Brand Super Glue gel to glue frags to live rock.. Well I went to Walmart this morning and they don't carry the 'Super Glue' Brand glue, just the Loctite brand so I bought it but i'm scared its not right and it might be a mistake to use it in my tank. I right now have three frags in my tank that need gluing down... Please help, Can I use this??

Ok, second question: I also bought Loctite Stick'N Seal for Extreme Conditions, It says it will bond heavy stone.. Im wondering if any one has used this to glue small pieces of live rock together? I haven't opened them and I can take them back to the store and get my money back if they wont work. I just really need to know if there safe. If needed I can take pictures of there packages.
Thanks!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the loctite brand gel super glue. I use to use the regular gel tubes but now I use the loctite gel that comes in the big plastic applicator. I like it better because I don't waste glue and the lid doesn't get glued on.

I can't upload the photo because tapatalk is trying to get me to upgrade :(

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360857367.448704.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360857380.947700.jpg

Just cyanoacrylate

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loctite works great and i love the applicator, just wish i could refill it as it goes fast. Someone needs to make a refillable version of it.

In terms of buying super glue for marine purposes, generally buy cyanoacrylate in gel form (the regular stuff is very runny) and you should be ok.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap that's what i've been using for a while, its extra thick and has s nice applicator

chefb_5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use and you can use any super glue that sets under 10 sec. That is the rule of thumb.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360857367.448704.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360857380.947700.jpg

Just cyanoacrylate

Get the double pack 2x 4g. With that you're just paying for the fancy casing. I think they are the same price at Wally World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find "super glue" branded gel at the dollar store and is 3 of tubes for $1 and you can get the gel or regular, but I use pretty much any brand as long as it is cyanoacrylate.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone!!! I was so worried about using it now I feel so much better. The super glue is just the same as the picture above so I will be keeping and using that to glue my frags in place.
The other one I picked up Loctite "Stik'N Seal" contains trimethoxyvinylsilane and amines. I should take this one back correct? This one says its for extreme conditions and will hold stone together.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is it holding up? If your glueing a frag to a rock in a tank here is a good method.

Attach your frag to some rubble with some glue (or just use the frag mounted on the plug with bottom cut off or a hole drilled for inserting) whatever you desire.

Then ball up some epoxy of your choice (I use the reef stuff for the purple color). Put some super glue on part of your ball of epoxy and press the glued to the mount your frag is on (either rubble or frag plug). Be sure to apply enough pressure have the epoxy conform to the shape of your mount a little. Then place some glue on the back side of the epoxy ball. Press this glued portion into area you want to place the frag and use enough pressure for the epoxy to take the shape of the are you are attaching.

This will work most of the time very well.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Scorpion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am planing for 6'x3'x2' planted tank. I am looking for ADA finish look for my aquarium. Should LOCTITE be advisable for aquarium building.
Kindly respond, Thanks and Regards in Advance.

cantMARKthat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy gorilla glue gel. It says it contains Ethyl Cyanoacrylate. Is this ok yo put in my tank?

MrMrsPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loctite plastic from above is just a regular plain tube inside of it. Dollar store sells 1 2g tube loctite. I go to harbor freight they have 10 3g hft brand compares to loctite For like 3 dollars sometimes there’s 3 pack for free coupon and other coupons for em I got the 10pack for 2$ last time plus a free 3pack

MrMrsPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loctite plastic from above is just a regular plain tube inside of it. Dollar store sells 1 2g tube loctite. I go to harbor freight they have 10 3g hft brand (compares to loctite) For like 3 dollars I got it for 2$ Plus a free 3 pack with coupon always coupons if u do go there make sure to sign up for their monthly mail you get tons of coupons plus free item coupons with any purchase

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 118 76.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.6%
Back