Can I use tap water?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS I'd like an explanation from 'someone' - as to why a tank (with fish only) can't be set up with tap water - there are no major toxins that will harm fish - that are in tap water (that cant be neutralized) - the only problem is tapping off the water with tap water for evaporation MIGHT cause problems. If he/she is doing water changes - even that SHOULD not be a problem. But the best would be to use RO/DI, distilled water for new top offs (clearly).

Tap with prime should be fine for a fowlr with dimmer lighting. It is also used in some reefs successfully just fine...just depends on the source at that point.

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell me:

I retuned the anemone and changed tanks like I was suggested. That is how I found a crack in the tank and am waiting for the replacement for larger one to arrive.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish only, you can use the tap water with conditioner. You will have to adjust the ph and temp too. Millions of people kept saltwater fish with tap water only back in the day. Not so good for corals or reef tanks.

If you want to proceed with the hobby, corals and long term fish husbandry you will need a rodi system in the future. You will also have to do some heavy water changes when switching over to the rodi to get any metals, contaminants, and silicas out of the tank.

So can you use tap water and the fish will live? Yes they usually do. Should you add any type of live stock until you get you water figured out, No you shouldn't add anything.

Will you see some significant changes when going from tap water to rodi? Yeah, your tank is gonna see some issues algae wise.

Time and patience will get you where you want to be. Just a small hiccup right now, nothing that can't be worked around.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of using tap water the first time. while I was cycling. then after the cycle I went to distilled water for almost a year. and just broke down after I got extremely sick for a month and bought a RODI unit and love it ever since... no more running to the store for distilled water just turn it on let it run for 5 to 10 minutes to get the membranes rinsed out and tds lower and then flip a little switch and start making rodi water from there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your story changes a lot. Return the fish. You have already been told why on more than one forum.

lies.JPG

Last edited:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retuned the anemone and changed tanks like I was suggested. That is how I found a crack in the tank and am waiting for the replacement for larger one to arrive.

Those suggestions must have come from somewhere else, because I saw no such suggestions here.

I can tell from the scale of the rock (very new looking rock at that) and the aquarium sides, that the “previous “ tank was no way near big enough for a Hippo tang.

I think you’re trying to cut corners. It’s fine to make mistakes and admit that you want to keep whatever fish, and you have whatever tank, and you did or did not cycle it, etc.

We need to know where you’re at with the tank to help.

First things first.... RETURN THE FISH

So;

1) How did you cycle the tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
previously I just kept doing water changes. I used RO water before but do not have any on hand which is why I asked about doing it an alternate way. Just trying to learn how to do things on my own without having to go to the store every day.

There seem to be 3 issues - right - 1. Is the tank cycled? Did you cycle it? are you testing ammonia, etc 2. Will the fish you bought have enough room in the tank you bought? 3. Is tap water ok to use to set up a tank

The answers to me are the # 3 is the least of the issues - you can easily use tap water with conditioners (depending on the city you live in) to START a tank. What you use for ATO or water changes - is another story. There are trace elements in every area of the ocean - and likely some in concentrations higher than normal 'tap water'.

The fish size - the tangs - well thats always going to be a thing - if you have for example a quarter sized blue and yellow tang - its no problem now - but they will outgrow that tank

The cycling question is perhaps the most important. If you are putting those fish into a non-cycled tank - you are very very likely to have problems - and as others have said - unless you have done something to 'fix' this problem - returning them might be the best/

If you (as some have suggested) you have an anemone - or inverts - they still can do 'ok' with tap water - and despite what others have said - you can remove certain metals from the water with various treatments) - but at this stage in your 'career' - you would be best to take these back - as they are unlikely to survive.

I grew up in an era when there was 'only tap water' - and things did 'ok'.

Wish you well - and I feel somewhat bad at some of the responses here - which are more like an 'I told you so - rather than an education'

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the two you have now, get everything sorted as far as cycling and then start topping off/water changes weekly off with distilled from the store.
Once you can get a few bucks, order a Rodi from amazon ignore no stores near you.
The biggest issue is waste management.
Do you have a way to test your water? If the answer is no, go to a lfs with you water and ask them to test it, likley they will use strips, they are garbage but it’s better then nothing.
Get some test kits (salifert, Redsea, and a few api, read up on which brand and for what) so you can get a better handle at home as to what’s going on in the tank.
You’re not at the end of the road here but it’s coming up, you COULD keep the fish alive by keeping the water params super clean, this will prolong the cycle.
Find someone local, or a store that can sell you some live rock. Smash it and put the rubble Into you overflow box/tank/sump whatever to speed up the process.

If you just added sand blast those lights fam, especially the reds, to crank the diatom bloom to full gear, it will take some nutrients out along with the silicates before it burns itself out.
All is not lost, but the timer has started, if you do some quick research and keep up with that water, you might Be able to pull this one out!

We all start somewhere (I’m new here to salt so I get it) but the most Importsnt thing here is to learn from mistakes and improve your husbandry.
Keep in mind this Is a passionate community of reefkeepers, these guys are serious about their livestock and water params, don’t take negative feedback as anything other than misplaced passion. You can do this, but it won’t be easy (the good things never are!!)

Keep asking questions, the only stupid questions are the ones we don’t ask.
And remember, whether you think you can or can’t... you’re right!
Ok done cheesin it you, good luck dude!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Better off with that seachem alpha than Prime. I use prime fr simple assurance of purity although it is not what it is designed for. Its a detoxifier, not a water conditioner

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use tap water to make my saltwater for my aquarium if I boil it first? If so, how long should I let it sit before I do my next water change??

I am fairly new to this hobby, so let me give you a view from a newbie. I struggled with how i was going to supply my tank with water. I looked at several different ways of supplying water for my system--thinking I could find a way of not buying a ro/di system. I hemmed and hawed. In the end, if you are going to get in this hobby and want to be successful, you need a ro/di water maker. Contact your water department and find out how they treat the water. If they use chlorine, you should be fine with a 4 stage ro/di from Bulk Reef Supply. If they use chloramines, you'll need a 5 stage ro/di unit. Regardless find out how they treat your water and if not sure what to get, send a message to BRS and they will advise you. Trust me and just do it or don't get into the hobby. Good Luck!

P.S. You will also want to get the ro/di units with the TDS meter and pressure gauge already attached. It'll make life much easier.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...I should know better than to answer a question without asking 20 questions first. Now I need to alter my original answer.

IF this is a fish only tank or IF it is a temporary situation or emergency (in a fish only tank) then yes, it is possible to use properly conditioned tap water. Personally, I've never done that for salt. I have used a mixture of tap, distilled, and NSW with no problems in FOWLRs.

If you bought the tank and fish and all supplies at the same time to set it up? You are cycling the tank using the fish and it's likely the tangs might not survive. The clown might make it though. No amount of water changing is going to help while the tank is cycling. It needs to cycle. Also not the best environment for anything but the hardiest of corals.

And a curse upon the LFS employee that steered you wrong.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point I haven’t seen made in this thread is that when you use tap water over time the compounds you don’t want will build up. Phosphates, Nitrates, heavy metals. This is because your tank will lose water to evaporation over time but that will be pretty much pure H2O leaving behind everything else. When you add more treated (e.g. Prime) tap water you add in more of the unwanted compounds too, and they don’t evaporate. This will only cause problems starting with Algae.

I started my tank with tap and then immediately moved to RODI. Initially bought from the LFS and later when I got sick and tired of lugging barrels, from my own unit. That went ok - did have GHA battles in the first year but probably not due to starting with tap, just the tank maturing and over-feeding and me learning. I plan to install a 2nd tank next year and will start with RODI from day 1 - easy for me now as I make my own RODI.

So +1 to what everyone has said - RODI. Buy an appropriate filter for your town supply and use that. Problem solved. As far as I am concerned it is pretty much a mandatory expense to be in the hobby.

Good luck!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing waterchanges with tapwater is a waste of water and salt. done it back in the 90s and couldnt figure out why my fish where always swimming weird or having to be replaced every 3 months

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I couldnt afford it.. Like for 10 years in the hobby i used the aquarium pharmeutical water filter. I believe it was all DI resin. I had very good success after using that with FOWLR and corals. NO excuses to many unknowns in tap water

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick answer..You can use tap water it all depends on what’s in it.... Great Lakes water ain’t as bad as perceived, In the 80s we kept Fish only and early reef aquariums when we did not know any better... just to give you an idea place your local tap in a window side by side with distilled at a sg around 20 and wait and see how they perform algae spore wise ... ICP is an option if you can interpret the results... again using tap is not optimal but not out totally the question

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen tap water I'd use for a tank with corals in it (because it all comes through copper pipes), and I only keep fish because of my corals.

That said, I've recently setup RODI at 3 locations and have been amazed at the variation in incoming TDS.
My well: 90
My neighbor's well: 350
Municipal water in the next town over: 150 (with chlorine)

Meanwhile, my friends in the town up the road have municipal water with TDS=5. Five.

Thats a 70-fold difference in TDS within 30 miles of each other.

No wonder you can't ever get a straight answer on the effects of tapwater! The term "tapwater" appears to be about as specific as "chemical" or "stuff" - it just describes something liquid, with a high water content, that came out of a tap :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I already have livestock. The store I was going to start did not tell me everything I needed. Basically just sold me a tank and some fish. So I’m trying to figure it all out before everything dies.

Does the store take returns? I don't have high hopes for your livestock if you came home with a brand new tank and fish without any experience. I don't mean this to sound ugly, but these arent feeder goldfish, or guppies. They're alot more sensitive, difficult, and far less renewable. I would return the livestock if you're able to and continue on with research before stocking anything living. I realize there's now way of knowing beforehand, but now that you've found this forum, I would cease to getting ALL advice from a pet store, or dare I even say a fish store. They're in the business of moving merchandise. Mortality rates and repeat business arent their primary concern, they just need to get product in and get it out. Especially big box pet store type places. They make the majority of their sales moving full entry level systems to first time owners. that much is evidenced by what you see dominating the shelves. Stay away.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the store take returns? I don't have high hopes for your livestock if you came home with a brand new tank and fish without any experience. I don't mean this to sound ugly, but these arent feeder goldfish, or guppies. They're alot more sensitive, difficult, and far less renewable. I would return the livestock if you're able to and continue on with research before stocking anything living. I realize there's now way of knowing beforehand, but now that you've found this forum, I would cease to getting ALL advice from a pet store, or dare I even say a fish store. They're in the business of moving merchandise. Mortality rates and repeat business arent their primary concern, they just need to get product in and get it out. Especially big box pet store type places. They make the majority of their sales moving full entry level systems to first time owners. that much is evidenced by what you see dominating the shelves. Stay away.

I agree with alot of what you say concerning the OP - but- disagree with what you are saying about LFS- and forums (not necessarily this one) - there is alot of misinformation on forums - and in LFS. There are a lot of 'bad' LFS - and many 'good ones'. There are many bad 'big box stores' -and many 'good ones'. I guess I would suggest - find a place that you can trust - don't rush out and buy xxx-until you've verified over time that whatever place is selling you something is 'correct'.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6325.jpg

I think a lot depends upon the quality of your water and what you intend on keeping. Here is a segment of my heave
ly stocked, five year old 120 Toronto Tap mixed reef.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back