Can someone explain this sump tank? I bought it used

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
title says it all. I can't figure out how this was intended to be used. It's probably something very obvious. Thanks guys!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Chris86

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can't figure out which side is the return and where the protein skimmer was intended to go. The dividers don't make sense to me.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does one end have a bulkhead fitting (a hole drilled close to the bottom) in it? If yes, that's the return end. The other end would be primary filtration (bio balls, socks etc.) with the skimmer in the middle. If no primary filtration, the skimmer could be the start of filtration with a bunch of live rock in the middle.

OP
OP
Chris86

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's drilled. The way everything was setup Made me think that the return was on the left side. But the left side divided is shorter than the second divider from the left. I thought the water should flow from one side to the other. That's not possible unless water flows over the second divider from the left, which would make the first divider too short.

Edit, I got confused

Last edited:

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the shorter divider (smaller compartment) is more evidence that the left side is the return side. The last dividers (closest to the return pump outlet) should force the water to flow over the last "wall" so as to eliminate bubbles. The surface releases the air and water is drawn down to the pump inlet.

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they may have been running a high water level in the sump. Maybe skimmer on a stand. Left side skimmer and drain, middle fuge right side return section. Or the right side may have been a fuge with a high water line and a split drain. One drain to left chamber with skimmer, and one to the fuge so as to split the raw drain water from the DT. Then return in the middle. They also may not have been running a skimmer at all. Maybe just filter socks on the right, fuge in middle and return on left. Personally, I think I would knock out the baffles, razor off the old silicone and reconfigure it they way that I wanted.

OP
OP
Chris86

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the shorter divider (smaller compartment) is more evidence that the left side is the return side. The last dividers (closest to the return pump outlet) should force the water to flow over the last "wall" so as to eliminate bubbles. The surface releases the air and water is drawn down to the pump inlet.
doesn't the water coming from the skimmer need to drain to the very right of the sump?

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty standard setup. Left to right: drain --> mechanical filtration --> refugium (or biopellet reactor/zeovit/etc) --> return pump (in the far right). The thumb in the pic makes it hard to see whether the left side is pre-fit for filter socks but you can easily add sock holders. The three baffles toward the right are to prevent bubbles from the skimmer reaching your return pump. Before cutting it up, I'd try it as is. It looks like a tried and proven setup.

OP
OP
Chris86

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty standard setup. Left to right: drain --> mechanical filtration --> refugium (or biopellet reactor/zeovit/etc) --> return pump (in the far right). The thumb in the pic makes it hard to see whether the left side is pre-fit for filter socks but you can easily add sock holders. The three baffles toward the right are to prevent bubbles from the skimmer reaching your return pump. Before cutting it up, I'd try it as is. It looks like a tried and proven setup.
The divider on the left so shorter than the one adjacent to it. That makes the first divider useless doesn't it? I guess that's what's got me confused.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make sure we're talking about the same baffles, let's number them left to right 1, 2, 3 and 4. So number 1 is the furthest left and 2, 3 and 4 are bunched together. I'm not sure if you're observing that #3 is higher than 2 or 2 is higher than 1. If you're concern is 3 being higher than 2, that's normal. Water flows over 2 and under 3, encouraging bubbles to rise to the surface and less aerated water to flow under # 3. Remaining bubbles get driven to the surface again by #4.

If your concern is that 1 is shorter than 2, you're correct and that's a bit unusual. There could be a couple explanations. Is Baffle # 2 adjustable height? Often this one would be, because you can use it to adjust the water level in the skimmer chamber. If not, it would suggest the design was intended to host a refugium between 1 and 2 with a sand bed. In that setup, the purpose of baffle 1 is to keep the inflow high so it doesn't disturb the sand, and to isolate the sand from the turbulence caused by the incoming drain water. So, in operation, all the water pours (usually quickly) into the left chamber, then flows over baffle 1 (which will be entirely submerged). This results in the water near the surface moving quickly but calmer motion down at the sand level so the sand doesn't get kicked up. This set up wouldn't have a place for a skimmer. I suppose you could put a skimmer in the refugium section (instead of a sand bed and refugium) but this setup seems more likely designed for a refugium. You could also put a skimmer in the far left section but if that's where you put your drains, the turbulence from the drains would likely interfere with skimmer function.

I hope this helps. If you can load a clearer picture, it might be easier to provide input.

OP
OP
Chris86

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make sure we're talking about the same baffles, let's number them left to right 1, 2, 3 and 4. So number 1 is the furthest left and 2, 3 and 4 are bunched together. I'm not sure if you're observing that #3 is higher than 2 or 2 is higher than 1. If you're concern is 3 being higher than 2, that's normal. Water flows over 2 and under 3, encouraging bubbles to rise to the surface and less aerated water to flow under # 3. Remaining bubbles get driven to the surface again by #4.

If your concern is that 1 is shorter than 2, you're correct and that's a bit unusual. There could be a couple explanations. Is Baffle # 2 adjustable height? Often this one would be, because you can use it to adjust the water level in the skimmer chamber. If not, it would suggest the design was intended to host a refugium between 1 and 2 with a sand bed. In that setup, the purpose of baffle 1 is to keep the inflow high so it doesn't disturb the sand, and to isolate the sand from the turbulence caused by the incoming drain water. So, in operation, all the water pours (usually quickly) into the left chamber, then flows over baffle 1 (which will be entirely submerged). This results in the water near the surface moving quickly but calmer motion down at the sand level so the sand doesn't get kicked up. This set up wouldn't have a place for a skimmer. I suppose you could put a skimmer in the refugium section (instead of a sand bed and refugium) but this setup seems more likely designed for a refugium. You could also put a skimmer in the far left section but if that's where you put your drains, the turbulence from the drains would likely interfere with skimmer function.

I hope this helps. If you can load a clearer picture, it might be easier to provide input.
Yeah it my problem is with number one and two. They are all not adjustable. I think you are right about a sand bed between 1 and 2. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I have decided to take out the dividers customize it myself. Well, at least the first two. Thanks for your help :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back