Can someone help me understand and properly fix my ICP analysis test on my tank

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f3548e156f94ea118297 here is the link to my ICP analysis, any and all constructive criticism is much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f3548e156f94ea118297 here is the link to my ICP analysis, any and all constructive criticism is much appreciated, and thank you in advance.
I cannot get your link to work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This yours?

Salinity is quite high and I'd lower it by slowly replacing tank water with Ro/DI.

Phosphate is low and I'd raise it.

A trace element mix may be useful.

Nothing else jumps out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how should I properly raise my phosphates?

Depends on nitrate levels, but you can dose it (no direct effect on nitrate), feed more (nitrate rises too), or reduce export.

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank You Randy, I am Not familiar with raising nitrates by dosing, is there a good method to doing that? What would you suggest?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Randy, I am Not familiar with raising nitrates by dosing, is there a good method to doing that? What would you suggest?

Have you measured nitrate?

IMO, the best way to dose it is to buy food or ACS grade sodium phosphate and sodium nitrate from amazon, and use this calculator to make solutions (use the entries for potassium nitrate or phosphate, they are close enough):

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thank you, now the values that they show to add the elements is that daily or monthly? or do you simply have to redo the test after a month to see if the elements have been depleted? I have not measured nitrate but do have a Hanna tester I can use to do so.

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did purchase trisodium phosphate from amazon the Loud wolf brand with the intensions of using but have never dosed it into the system, is this useful and okay to use?

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
as far as the salinity, I have used both refractometer and Hanna salinity testers and they both show 1.025, I haven't had the Hanna tester that long and was wondering if I should recalibrate, only been using it for about a month or so, I do however do water changes quite frequently on this tank and am wondering if that's why I have such low phosphates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as far as the salinity, I have used both refractometer and Hanna salinity testers and they both show 1.025, I haven't had the Hanna tester that long and was wondering if I should recalibrate, only been using it for about a month or so, I do however do water changes quite frequently on this tank and am wondering if that's why I have such low phosphates.
I would recalibrate and re-test (using a 35 salinity solution). It is entirely possible that the ICP salinity is 'wrong'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did purchase trisodium phosphate from amazon the Loud wolf brand with the intensions of using but have never dosed it into the system, is this useful and okay to use?
Were you having problems with your tank - that required an ICP test - or did you just do it to see the results. I personally probably wouldn't dose anything based on an ICP test. Especially if your tank looks good. Are you going with a no-water change regiment - or some other reason for ordering it?

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you, guys, both for chiming in, I have never really been told or shown by my LFS on how to properly add or make the tank perfect so I'm learning along the way, I recalibrated, and I adjusted properly, now I just have to raise the phosphates, I wish the ICP test told you how to raise everything to the proper levels as well, not just the trace elements.

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I simply was just curious on what my tank was at after losing some high end zoas, I didn't want that to happen again, everything in the tank looks great, just was always curious, that's all. this is a 29-gallon bio cube and is pretty stocked up, I use red sea coral pro salt and do water changes of 5 gallons on every Wednesday and Saturday to keep the growth and nutrient's going.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, guys, both for chiming in, I have never really been told or shown by my LFS on how to properly add or make the tank perfect so I'm learning along the way, I recalibrated, and I adjusted properly, now I just have to raise the phosphates, I wish the ICP test told you how to raise everything to the proper levels as well, not just the trace elements.
If your tank is doing 'well' with no problems - why not just leave it the way it is? More people mess things up with additions or reactors, etc - than just feeding the fish - and going from there - IMHO

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree, the main thing was the loss of some corals that were expensive, and I tried to dip them with no success, so I ordered an ICP test to see if anything was off, I added the vanadium and manganese and just rechecked a few months later, they are both low now, but all my corals are looking great, I have been feeding more with the hopes of raising my phosphates, but they are still untraceable. Should I leave the phosphates alone then?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, the main thing was the loss of some corals that were expensive, and I tried to dip them with no success, so I ordered an ICP test to see if anything was off, I added the vanadium and manganese and just rechecked a few months later, they are both low now, but all my corals are looking great, I have been feeding more with the hopes of raising my phosphates, but they are still untraceable. Should I leave the phosphates alone then?
As Randy said you can either feed more, or add phosphate - if you do not want your nitrates to go up. I dont know if you saw it (I didn't at first) - there is a phosphate calculator/nitrate calculator on the bottom of the post he wrote

OP
OP
T

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I glanced at this really quick but I'm having trouble understanding it to be quite honest, I have always been told to do water changes and keep things simple and I should be successful, I have never looked into this scientifically, but I will say this, I won't do anything until I'm very sure of what I'm doing, I'm very anal when it comes to my decision making. I have to be confident enough so that I don't nuke my system, then I will take the necessary steps to correct things, that's why I'm reaching out to you guys for guidance and help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back