can these be saved....

Aquatica Services Pattaya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone shed some light uf these Palys can be saved...
Little over a month ago they tirned like this after the tank was treated with so called reef safe algae remover that didnt seem that reef safe after all.
This effected mainly these Paly colonies and in lesser some Leathers and some Elegances....looking like the algaecide effected the zooaxenthelea in those corals causing them to bleach.....I think??...
they dont look death as they not melting away just shrunk and got almost fluorescent white.....
I tried to add some new Palys right on top hopefully they would help recover the zooaxenthelea or anything else.....
IMG_20240327_143543.jpg
IMG_20240327_143515.jpg IMG_20240327_143534.jpg

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching my head. Wow. That product should come with a warning. A picture under white light might help. Can you please also post your parameters?
came with the smallest warning reading..."REEFSAFE corals are the animal species. Although the solution is not harmfull to animals . The zooaxenthellea in the coral will disappear. So we recommend it only for non-photosynthetic corals"
Fun thing the reefsafe was large red font the rest small font type lol.
IMG_20240327_154818.jpg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use this? It sounds very potent. 1.7 ounce treats 12,500 gallons?

How big is this tank and how much did you add?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae grew for a reason.

What changes are being made to the system or maintenance to ensure the hair algae does not come back ?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to know whether they can recover. Bleaching is interesting in that if the right conditions are there, the Coral can recover but I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a Paly quite this bleached tbh. Be careful, stressed out Palys may release phaleotoxin (sp).

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I got off topic. I don’t think anybody will have that answer for you, you used a non-reef safe product that has nuked palys, leathers, and elegance coral in an attempt to combat hair algae.

In my opinion they look like they are dying, or at best, barely surviving. It is possible these contain palytoxin, which can kill not only everything in the tank, but you and the tank owners also. Whenever there are palythoa the highest level of care must be used. Their toxin can spread through water and it can also be airborne. If it gets on your hand and you touch your eye or mouth, you could end up in a hospital within hours.

You should apologize to your customer for harming their palys, elegance, and leathers.

If this was to recover 1) it will take months and 2) there is nothing you can do to help except maybe reduce the lighting significantly for a few weeks or months and keep parameters stable and perfect

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are super bleached, I think goners unless they can be fed until they recover the ability of photosynthesis.

Probably better to remove them rather than have them just dying in the tank and throw the parameters out of whack?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back