Can this acropora be saved?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today when I was working at the lfs, I found a piece of acropora under a rock ledge and partially covered in sand. It likely broke off of the large green acro colony in the tank. Now it is entirely brown and completely dead in certain spots. I put it on a frag plug and brought it home. Do you think it can be saved or is it too far gone? Is there anything I should do for it?
IMG_7903.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct flow, correct light. The same ol keep parameters steady deal. It may have more tissue recession. So, hopefully someone can tell you if you should let it be, or cut above the white.

I lost 4 acros to dino outbreak. Found a small frag in the sand. Glued, let it be. Got to cleaning my tank. The piece recessed from an inch to 1/4. Its growing now though.

Yes. That piece can be saved unless rtn kicks in.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are on point, it might survive. The skin does look thin so the piece might be suffering.

Most time even if it survives the exposed / dead part is magnet for algae and that tends to kill corals slowly. Sometimes corals can grow over old injuries but the piece needs to be healthy.

At what level is your PO4? STN from bottom is related to PO4 starvation… I know unrelated but having PO4 in the 0.05-0.15 levels tends to keep my acros happy.

1715306721631.jpeg

Good luck,

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are on point, it might survive. The skin does look thin so the piece might be suffering.

Most time even if it survives the exposed / dead part is magnet for algae and that tends to kill corals slowly. Sometimes corals can grow over old injuries but the piece needs to be healthy.

At what level is your PO4? STN from bottom is related to PO4 starvation… I know unrelated but having PO4 in the 0.05-0.15 levels tends to keep my acros happy.

1715306721631.jpeg

Good luck,
I see what you mean about the dead part being an algae magnet. Would it be better to just cut it off?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont leave exposed skeleton bits uncovered - either snap the frag smaller or cover exposed part using superglue or aquascaping putty..

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
STN from bottom is related to PO4 starvation
Please link more on this.

I, like most have experienced base STN but have po4 levels around .08 (for about 20 years). I have a hard time seeing any correlation with this because of the above statement.

So please link some information. I would like to do some reading on this.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please link more on this.

I, like most have experienced base STN but have po4 levels around .08 (for about 20 years). I have a hard time seeing any correlation with this because of the above statement.

So please link some information. I would like to do some reading on this.
This is best/ compact explanation on the subject:

Post 530.

I hope the link works, if not I will try something different. There’s article as well.

The underlying assumption is that the tank is stable, all the parameters are on point and no swings in parameters. Under this condition low PO4 will lead to stn from bottom of the coral.

Problem with STN is that reefers have parameters that are not on point or they experience swings or stability is not there. When you combine these stressors STN/RTN can and will happen and is not related to PO4 values.
At the end of the day corals don’t lie… If they are experiencing STN something is off, parameters are off, swings happened etc…

I been at this for 6 years and lost enough acros to observe what happens under PO4 deficiency.

These two are nice example:
1715806559714.jpeg

1715806620780.jpeg

Both show recession from base.

Hope that helps.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is best/ compact explanation on the subject:

Post 530.

I hope the link works, if not I will try something different. There’s article as well.

The underlying assumption is that the tank is stable, all the parameters are on point and no swings in parameters. Under this condition low PO4 will lead to stn from bottom of the coral.

Problem with STN is that reefers have parameters that are not on point or they experience swings or stability is not there. When you combine these stressors STN/RTN can and will happen and is not related to PO4 values.
At the end of the day corals don’t lie… If they are experiencing STN something is off, parameters are off, swings happened etc…

I been at this for 6 years and lost enough acros to observe what happens under PO4 deficiency.

These two are nice example:
1715806559714.jpeg

1715806620780.jpeg

Both show recession from base.

Hope that helps.
Thanks,

My assumption fits into this narrative. However, I have tended to lean towards bacterial or viral infection. Meaning when water chemistry or something is not right or causes a stressor on the organism it allows a door for a potentially harmful bacteria to exploit the weakness.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

My assumption fits into this narrative. However, I have tended to lean towards bacterial or viral infection. Meaning when water chemistry or something is not right or causes a stressor on the organism it allows a door for a potentially harmful bacteria to exploit the weakness.
I follow this line of thought:

Older post but fits well with my observations.

Once the coral is suffering I suspect bacteria can cause further damage.

With corals P/PO4 is critical and from my experience if it is low or sinking it can kill them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back