Can you dump skimmer waste down the toilet?

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is worried about me dumping my protein skimmer waste down the toilet because she’s afraid it might upset the balance in the septic system. To me it looks like sh** and smells like sh** so naturally that’s where I think it should go. Or am I wrong and should dump it in the grass...somebody help me before I get yelled at again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do all the time

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is worried about me dumping my protein skimmer waste down the toilet because she’s afraid it might upset the balance in the septic system. To me it looks like sh** and smells like sh** so naturally that’s where I think it should go. Or am I wrong and should dump it in the grass...somebody help me before I get yelled at again

Hi,

Here‘s a funny little story to save in an emergency if she yells about where you dump it. My wife used to say don’t put it in toilet, And we are on city sewer. Whenever she got on me to bad I start emptying it in the kitchen sink. I pour it into the disposal but didn’t rinse it down and I don’t rinse the cup. And I walk real slow accidentally blowing across the top of the cup as I walk. After the house smells a quick flush will be heaven. :) :)

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a septic system, I don't worry about flushing skimmer waste down the toilet or sink. Lots of other things can negatively impact the performance of your septic system but skimmer waste isn't one of them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about the volume. Skimmer crud <<< normal waste < 150 gallons/day for a family of 5.
Careful where you put the old water change water. I was draining it outside the closest door. This year the crab tree has reduced foliage.
Doh.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wouldn't worry about skimate in the septic tank.
I have been dumping my water change water in mine for almost 30 years.
Sometimes as much as 100 gallons every 2 weeks.
My septic system is fine. I've had it pumped multiple times and there has never been a problem.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part of waking up is fish juice in your cup! LOL
giphy.gif

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger potential problem is the salt water from water changes. Most septic tanks are concrete, which does not take kindly to the corrosive affects of salt.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger potential problem is the salt water from water changes. Most septic tanks are concrete, which does not take kindly to the corrosive affects of salt.

Its really not a big deal unless you've got a ton of reef gallonage.

Dropping 20 gallons of salt water into a 1000g septic tank that typically has 750 gallons of water in it and has about 500 gallons of water a day going through it just isn't meaningful.

There are a couple of states that require the waste line of softeners to be discharged into septic tanks - and they don't seem to have any higher failure rates than any other states.

The one thing I wouldn't do is dump about 500 gallons of salt water into a septic tank all at once - fresh water floats on salt water, and if they don't have time to mix, you'll float all sorts of 'stuff' into your leaching fields.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 136 48.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back