Can you Radion AB+ on an AI Hydra? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I came up with in the video for the the Hydra52. :)
UV- 156%
Violet - 154%
Royal blues - 160%
Blues - 77%
Greens - 11%
Deep reds - 40%
Cool whites - 27%

@randyBRS I have 2 52s and 1 26 between the 52s both HD versions over my RSR 450. To keep the same spectrum but dial in par I can just shrink everything equally right? Sorry IDK if im saying this right but I know I can like pinch with 2 fingers and just shrink the whole curve and lower everything equally? I am going to rent a par meter to test this out but I want to keep the AB+ program or as close 2 as I can for all 3 lights. I am trying hard to emulate everything you guys are doing on the WWC build(except I cant afford radions and I already had some AI lights so I went with this set up. I really hope it will blanket the tank. I mounted them 12" above the water which is as high as I could get them with my current mounts). with my RSR 450. Going for heavy SPS dominant tank with some LPS and maybe a few zoas/softies.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I have 2 52s and 1 26 between the 52s both HD versions over my RSR 450. To keep the same spectrum but dial in par I can just shrink everything equally right? Sorry IDK if im saying this right but I know I can like pinch with 2 fingers and just shrink the whole curve and lower everything equally? I am going to rent a par meter to test this out but I want to keep the AB+ program or as close 2 as I can for all 3 lights. I am trying hard to emulate everything you guys are doing on the WWC build(except I cant afford radions and I already had some AI lights so I went with this set up. I really hope it will blanket the tank. I mounted them 12" above the water which is as high as I could get them with my current mounts). with my RSR 450. Going for heavy SPS dominant tank with some LPS and maybe a few zoas/softies.

Conceptually that should be the case, as you aren't necessarily shifting the spectrum by decreasing a single LED but rather decreasing each LED channel in equal proportions.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Using the MyAi app setting for Acclimation you should be able to reduce each color by the same percentage. The "pinch" of the graph may not give you the preciseness of incremental change you may want to dial in a value you are looking for. Once you reduce the colors by "X" percentage in acclimation mode you can fairly easily adjust each color by 1% increments up or down to achieve what you want.

If you rent/ borrow a PAR meter, please post your results.

FoxyFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!

It's finally here!

Thanks to @dave57 for asking us to double check some AI Hydra26 and Hydra52 settings that he found. Not only did I check those numbers from THIS POST but I also checked the settings we used on the Prime to see if they were comparable.

Check out what I found!

paronaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, quick question: After running acclimation on my AI Hydra 26 HD (25 days), I start this popular schedule (see picture), and this is week one so far, but what I notesed is that colors on some corals are not vibrant any longer, or not colored at all... zoa's are not opening and rock anemone, is completely open but it's brown with some neon pink, it was dark blue before.

Aquarium overall looks more "brown", before I had Maxspect R420R and on blue channel around 70% I had zoa and mushrooms to pop with color. But tank was more "blue", planing to try other corals, so I switched to AI

Does anybody experienced similar coral coloration issue?

AI Hydra schedule.jpg

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I forgot to do when coming up with these spectrum settings. Hopefully I can find some time to test, but better yet would be if those currently running it could chime in if they have tested their PAR.
Were you ever able to get PAR results for the AB+ spectrum? I'm running 2 Hydra 26HDs over my 40B and I'm trying to find the right intensity. I'm currently running them at 45% of your recommended settings. I recently added a glass lid so I know I will need to account for that, but I'm striving for a mixed reef with high demand SPS in top 8" and lower demand SPS & LPS in the bottom 10". My lights are currently about 8" AWL but I plan to raise them up a few more inches. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I can't afford to buy a Seneye or rent a PAR meter right now.
20190224_124745.jpeg
20190219_103523.jpeg
20190226_143712~3.jpeg
20190226_143712~2.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to purchase some non HD’s do you recommend them? getting a really good deal
HD stands for Hyper Drive meaning the user can take unused power from one channel and over drive another (going past 100%). The non HD’s do not have that capability.

TeehGeeCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD stands for Hyper Drive meaning the user can take unused power from one channel and over drive another (going past 100%). The non HD’s do not have that capability.

Yes I know that, that’s not even what I was asking lol

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you ever able to get PAR results for the AB+ spectrum? I'm running 2 Hydra 26HDs over my 40B and I'm trying to find the right intensity. I'm currently running them at 45% of your recommended settings. I recently added a glass lid so I know I will need to account for that, but I'm striving for a mixed reef with high demand SPS in top 8" and lower demand SPS & LPS in the bottom 10". My lights are currently about 8" AWL but I plan to raise them up a few more inches. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I can't afford to buy a Seneye or rent a PAR meter right now.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get PAR numbers on this, but @Chaswood79 and @Swav8tor posted some PAR readings for their lights on this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ai-hydra-translation-of-sps-ab.461527

The glass top is really a curveball here, so I'm not sure how to compensate for that PAR loss (which will likely fluctuate after being freshly cleaned and over a week or so as humidity, salt creep and carbonate build up on the surface). I'd roughly guess a 10-20% loss in PAR or maybe more, depending on the frequency of cleaning.

FLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks running these settings I have seen a definite improvement in coral coloration and growth versus the “other” AB+ AI setting program. This is program is definitely more blue than the other AB+ but not to where it’s unpleasant for viewing (for me anyway) or feeling eye strain after being up close to the aquarium for awhile.

I’ve had one particular jawbreaker for a year or so and even with good growth the difference in color now is highly noticeable. The green areas have just popped in the last week, and the red areas are spreading as well. Could be age...but I believe it’s the difference in spectrum and the coral getting used to light change now after a few weeks with the BRS AB+ settings from this thread. Zoas also look much more vibrant and new polyps sprouting in a faster rate than before.

THANKS BRS!
Would you mind showing us a screen shot of how long your running the lights?

Lazyreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone point me to where I can download the brs ai prime ab+ schedule please? Thanks for any info

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume these settings would work on a Prime HD also?

Actually these settings originated from the AI Prime and you can see what those settings were on the AI Prime at this time stamp of the video. :) Granted, this may be too much PAR for some reefers depending on their tank size/mounting/coral placement, but it gives a good starting point that you can scale down if necessary.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone point me to where I can download the brs ai prime ab+ schedule please? Thanks for any info

We don't have a file to download, but really all you'd need to do to replicate this same spectrum on your own lights is to set your own sliders to the same percentages we did. After that, if you want to use it you can just apply those settings to your desired total photoperiod for the tank.

Lazyreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have a file to download, but really all you'd need to do to replicate this same spectrum on your own lights is to set your own sliders to the same percentages we did. After that, if you want to use it you can just apply those settings to your desired total photoperiod for the tank.

Ohhh okay that makes sense for sure that’s my bad for not thinking about it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back