Can You Remove Scratches In Glass Aquariums???

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this long scratch on the aquarium I am setting up. It's on the side panel near the top so my gyre may hide it. So, I was wondering if anyone has had some experience removing scratches in glass?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a little research on this myself and the general rule seems to be if you can catch your fingernail on the scratch, it's too deep to do anything about. If not, you supposedly can buff it out using Cerium Oxide. Google "Cerium Oxide scratch repair".

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they aren't that deep at all, no finger nail hanging. I'll research that, thanks!

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is supposedly possible even with a deeper scratch.. catch is cost of disks to repair.. vs. replace or live with..

I do NOT work for them but I did purchase the lower end system from them..

I have a tank I am going to attempt this on.. once I practice on some discarded glass panels..

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, byt the process is 100% not worth it.

I hate to say it but I agree. Not only tedious and time consuming but the results never seem what you want them to be and you risk doing more damage than good. Unless you have the proper equipment and know what your doing I'd let it go. But that's me you may be better at fixing that type of stuff.

How long is long?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used cerium oxide before. It did work on some light scratches and may of worked on others if I put more time into it. My opinion, it was way more work than what it was worth.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but I agree. Not only tedious and time consuming but the results never seem what you want them to be and you risk doing more damage than good. Unless you have the proper equipment and know what your doing I'd let it go. But that's me you may be better at fixing that type of stuff.

How long is long?
8 inches plus

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To effectively do this, you'd need to tear down the tank, lay it on the side with the scratch, and go to town with a power buffer/cerium oxide or some other glass polishing material. It takes a long time and you will almost certainly end up with aberrations in the glass when you are done. If the scratch is in a place you can live with, live with it!

londonloco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current reef has a scratch on the front panel, I can only tell it's there if the lights are on, and I look at it in a certain position. In other words, it's hard to tell I have a scratch when the tank is filled with water unless I try, really hard, to see it. Have you looked at the scratch while the tank was filled with water?

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my leak test and you are right, it's hard to notice the scratch and it is on the side of the tank. I think I'll give up this mission

DJDerbstep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Cerium Oxide and a buffer wheel on my tank for several very shallow scratches and I couldn't notice any difference afterwards.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did buy the kit from GlassRenu.. and it works.. I have only practiced on old 40g breeder so far but I am impressed..

I will be happy to post pic sequence here if OP is ok with me doing so.. If not I will start a new thread in day or so..

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. here you go.. this process isn't for the faint of heart ;)

but this is why I am trying to learn this process..its a 265 that I have managed to put many scratches in...all on the inside...;Rage

Tank Pre-Scratch
Its a 55g that I will use for QT eventually..

The new scratch... this is a 1" scratch made with a diamond dremel bit I use to chamfer holes drilled in glass.. It does catch your fingernail..

Step 1
Scratch Removal

Last edited:

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 2
Pre Polish

After pre-polishing for a bit

Pre-Polishing

Pre-Polishing completed

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 3
Polishing

felt pad

its messy (cerium oxide + ro/di water)...

Here is a grid inside the tank... why am I posting this? To show that if you feather the repair appropriately there is no lensing effect.. i.e. distortion

Hope you have enjoyed my demo of the glassrenu scratch removal kit..

This is my 3rd practice run.. 1st two on old 40 breeder tank.. this one is a 55g..
You can remove scratches in glass without distortion.. it does take time - close to 2 hours this time (with cooling intervals)..

as a final note: I did have to go back one time with pre-polish pad as I had some fine whirls in the glass near the trim. I think the polishing step would have eventually removed them but pre-polishing is just a lot faster..

jcrhddgmxcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like it works. I dont know how i managed but it seems the first magnet i used had a pc of sasnd i didnt see or what ever but left scartches the first 3 times i used it. It drives me crazy. So they are much smaller and not nearly as deep as that one. Anyway i have been looking to purchase a new aquarium this looks much less expensdive. The only bad thing is i need to tear my tank down! Thanks for the demonstration!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back