Can you use Carbon twice or more?

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had carbon in a filter bag sitting in my sump for about 4-5 days. Decided to take it out to wash the bag so it wont stain too bad and I was wondering If I could just run some clean RO/DI water through it and use the carbon again? Or is it a one time thing, is it all used up?

Thanks!

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it your worried about staining and from what, I don't get that part..... but yeah carbon is a 1 time deal and you should be able to typically get atleast a couple weeks out of it.

OP
OP
.Marshall

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The staining is of the bag itself, nothing about carbon staining it. I am near the end of my cycle and in the middle of a diatom hurricane so my filter bags are getting plastered with brown mess.

Since I only used it about a week I think i'll put it back in the washed filter bag and use it for another couple days.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get 4-7 days out of a reactor full of ROX carbon. Carbon really doesn't last long at all.

droberts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse and reuse mine in my reactor. i rinse after 2weeks then in 2 weeks replace it. the second run it wont absorb much but in a reactor it will still polish the water

OP
OP
.Marshall

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse and reuse mine in my reactor. i rinse after 2weeks then in 2 weeks replace it. the second run it wont absorb much but in a reactor it will still polish the water

Thank you, The answer I was looking for! Someone reusing the carbon a second time!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, The answer I was looking for! Someone reusing the carbon a second time!

I had a long answer for this but I shortened it up a lot...

Carbon is cheap and it soaks up many kinds of chemicals from the aquarium. Many of those chemicals are unknown to us but it helps with clarity of the water and helps prevent chemical warfare between inhabitants. There is no successful way to regenerate GAC to its original effectiveness without the use of extreme heat and oxidizing chemicals to remove the specific contaminants the GAC originally soaked up. If your carbon is getting spoiled from detritus then sure go ahead and rinse it out and put it back in. If it is exhausted from soaking up chemicals, toss it in the trash and use new stuff. Your fish will thank you for it.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can recharge it, but as stated above it is not as effective the second time around and kind of a pain in the rear to do. With the newer carbon like BRS Rox you end up using so little now that its not really worth the effort. I love the Rox carbon, its much much smaller than the Black Diamond or other stuff so it has a TON more surface area to soak up the nasties in your water.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back