Canada customers get screwed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Carbonator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @noopsyche

i'd like to make you aware that shipping your products to canada using DHL, UPS, FEDEX etc incurs significant extra cost for your canada customers. For example, i've ordered a k7 mini, which is about 100$ + 11$ shipping. The problem is the import tax. Which isn't bad as we only have to pay federal sales tax, which came out to $6.86, but the real kicker is the brokerage fees. 35$CAD for UPS to pay that $6.86 tax.

I strongly recommend that something be put in place for canadian customers. One solution is to ship using USPS, which forwards to canada post and they only charge $10 brokerage fees. Another solution would be to arrange shipping from inside canada.

I really like your lights. I'm sure others will too, but it really sucks to get a bill of 50% of your purchase value on the day of delivery.

Last edited:

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi @noopsyche

i'd like to make you aware that shipping your products to canada using DHL, UPS, FEDEX etc incurs significant extra cost for your canada customers. For example, i've ordered a k7 mini, which is about 100$ + 11$ shipping. The problem is the import tax. Which isn't bad as we only have to pay federal sales tax, which came out to $6.86, but the real kicker is the brokerage fees. 35$CAD for UPS to pay that $6.86 tax.

I strongly recommend that something be put in place for canadian customers. One solution is to ship using USPS, which forwards to canada post and they only charge $10 brokerage fees. Another solution would be to arrange shipping from inside canada.

I really like your lights. I'm sure others will too, but it really sucks to get a bill of 50% of your purchase value on the day of delivery.
I will look into this today

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure we can find a better solution for Canadian customers :) I was unaware of the fees they are charging you
Canadian distribution and warehouse would be the best solution. You might research a partner for Canada that has distribution already.

OP
OP
Carbonator

Carbonator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zach B Thanks for looking into this so quickly. Canadians are always getting screwed by customs fees and and overpaying for what is likely an automated process. There's class action suites going back a long time in every province about this but nothing seems to change.

Another option seems to be available where the item is somehow pre-cleared and the import duty + taxes are included in the shipping cost. This is nice because there's no surprises on delivery day.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @Zach B
Hi @noopsyche

Hi, Canadian shipping rates will be adjusted to try to offset the additional cost for Canadian users

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Zach B ,
Has this been resolved? If I order the lights today, will I be surprised with additional import fees upon delivery? Thanks!
I just got my customs receipt for $28 cdn for 1 light, better than the $40 for each light I got last year.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just got my customs receipt for $28 cdn for 1 light, better than the $40 for each light I got last year.
Was your order delivered by usps? I had a recent order for Canada and thought it would be Much cheaper...

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your order delivered by usps? I had a recent order for Canada and thought it would be Much cheaper...
yes it was. it's most likely based on the cost of the item crossing customs into Canada to create the customs invoice. all good. it would be hard to get around that, I would think.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yes it was. it's most likely based on the cost of the item crossing customs into Canada to create the customs invoice. all good. it would be hard to get around that, I would think.
Thank you :)

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @noopsyche

+1 This!!!!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @noopsyche

Sneak it across the border? Seems to work in the US to get around the rules

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timely thread for me, I was just about to order from Canada and wondered about import fees. Was hoping Aquarium Depot or JL would carry Noo-psyche.

Those brokerage fees aren't too terrible, will order anyway. Excited to try one out.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back