CANDY CANE PISTOL SHRIMP IN 5 GAL NANO

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5 gallon nano tank and would like to add in something unique and seen a lot of people using pistol shrimp however I see mixed opinions as so many people have witnessed them go on murderous rampages in a small tank. I have two hi fin goby on order and wanted to get a candy cane to go with them in hopes that they'd pair. If the murderous shrimp is a no go what else would be super cool for a 5 gal?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5 gallon nano tank and would like to add in something unique and seen a lot of people using pistol shrimp however I see mixed opinions as so many people have witnessed them go on murderous rampages in a small tank. I have two hi fin goby on order and wanted to get a candy cane to go with them in hopes that they'd pair. If the murderous shrimp is a no go what else would be super cool for a 5 gal?
I don’t see an issue - In any tank pistols will likely go for snails/crabs.
A. randalli is a great pistol for this tank as they don’t get huge but they don’t stay tiny either. The only worry I’d have is making sure corals on the sand bed don’t mind getting buried by the sand.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see an issue - In any tank pistols will likely go for snails/crabs.
A. randalli is a great pistol for this tank as they don’t get huge but they don’t stay tiny either. The only worry I’d have is making sure corals on the sand bed don’t mind getting buried by the sand.
I won't have much if anything on sand bed as there is no room on my sand bed for a coral really lol. This is an older photo so don't mind the uglies haha, I think it's finally coming out of the ugly these days.

Attachments

• 20230607_185537.jpg
    20230607_185537.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
candy canes are very small and should be okay. my Yasha and candy cane mind their own business and don't kill snails.
I've read that the candy is a little more safe but it can also cause issues in a small 5 gallon as they can become territorial.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will "attack" see snap at anything close to his cave. Ive been pinched by mine. Sorta felt it.

The worst part was when he would dig fine sand. It turned my reef into a snow globe for a bit. He eventually quit that technique and started pushing piles and stacking shells. That was all in a 14 g. I moved him to a 25 g and he's been great in there. He built a sweet cave and stays put.

In a 5 g he goby may get nutso territorial. But that pair only in a 5 gallon would be awesome.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back