Candycane coral placement and placement in general

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello good people of Reef2Reef. I am new to reefing and have had this tank since October 2021. It's a 40gal AIO by innovative marine. All of the corals in it were added last Christmas and have been thriving so far. That being said, my toadstool is getting pretty big and is getting a little close to the candycanes. I know they need good lighting and moderate flow, but I have no idea where all I could put them without crowding the other corals. I have 2 Rainbow BTA's that have been walking around the rock on the right side of the tank since I got them (Christmas as well), so I don't want to move the candycanes to the other rock because of this but I will if the other rock is a better place for them. I'd also love to hear some other opinions on placement for some of the other corals if you don't mind, but mostly the candycanes.

Note: I know that one of the candycane heads is dead (well half of it), I didn't realize that it was in the sand the night I put it in because it was like 1am and on Christmas. I will not be making that kind of stupid mistake again. And I understand that the green star polyps will eventually overtake the rockwork and be a pain later, but that's the plan. The Kenya tree in the middle isn't usually like that, it is recovering from one of the BTA's parking itself practically on its base for a day.

Thanks in advance :)

image2.jpeg image0.jpeg image1 (4).jpeg

OP
OP
Unenabled

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to list my other corals.
I have 2 green toadstool leathers, 3 rocks covered in green star polyp, the candycanes, 2 montipora digitatas (i think they are forest fires or smthn), zoas (sunny d's I think?), a montipora plate, a favia, a branching hammer coral, the Kenya tree in the middle (as well as a few other on the same rock), and a discosoma mushroom.

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
generally, soft corals (leathers, toadstools, kenya tree, mushrooms, etc.) should be in the lower middle, to bottom section of the tank. they dont need as intense lighting as other (sps/lps) corals.

i have a huge colony of teal trumpets (candy canes) mounted in the middle section of my tank, with moderate flow, and they're thriving. SPS and acros need to be up a little higher, and I would definitely move the hammer from the bottom level to the middle or upper— probably will do fine and better being parallel to where the candy canes are ♡ good luck!

OP
OP
Unenabled

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally, soft corals (leathers, toadstools, kenya tree, mushrooms, etc.) should be in the lower middle, to bottom section of the tank. they dont need as intense lighting as other (sps/lps) corals.

i have a huge colony of teal trumpets (candy canes) mounted in the middle section of my tank, with moderate flow, and they're thriving. SPS and acros need to be up a little higher, and I would definitely move the hammer from the bottom level to the middle or upper— probably will do fine and better being parallel to where the candy canes are ♡ good luck!
I will definitely be moving the hammer soon I am just not sure where yet. It's doing fine on the bottom for now and I have yet to see a hammer do bad on the bottom anyway so its no big deal. Its almost about to split into a second head so I think I want it to get bigger and split a few times before moving it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back