Can't decide which skimmer to go with

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying a new skimmer and trying to figure out which one would be the best for my setup? I have a 290g and I have been looking at the Reefer DC 900 or the Reef Octopus Regal 300-SSS. I'm not sure if these are overkill as I'd rather spend extra money on other needed things but i don't want something that is underpowered when my tank is full later on. I am planning on a Mixed reef setup. Opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say either are great skimmers but way over sized for your tank. I used to think oversize skimmers were the way to go, and they kind of are with in reason. Most skimmer exaggerate their max size tank by quite a bit. But, the better quality the skimmer is the closer it is to being right. I'd say the regal 200 is probably more the size range you'd need.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say either are great skimmers but way over sized for your tank. I used to think oversize skimmers were the way to go, and they kind of are with in reason. Most skimmer exaggerate their max size tank by quite a bit. But, the better quality the skimmer is the closer it is to being right. I'd say the regal 200 is probably more the size range you'd need.
That’s good to know as I can save money. I was weighing my opinion based to BRS website that stated the heavy bio load was around 250g aquarium and these were the 2 that carried that load. Am I missing something?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless space in the sump is an issue you could get this one and save more.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless space in the sump is an issue you could get this one and save more.

That’s great thanks for the link. What about this one.
Is the only difference the internal pump vs external?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know as I can save money. I was weighing my opinion based to BRS website that stated the heavy bio load was around 250g aquarium and these were the 2 that carried that load. Am I missing something?
These skimmers are both really good so id say they are closer to max gallons then some. Heavy stock is serious though I doubt many are heavy stock on this forum. I typically base this type of decision on a medium stock density. Really how many fish are you planning on having. If it was fish only I may change my decision. I have talked with one of arguably the best skimmer manufactures in person and what he said and showed me really made a lot of sense. Most people buy these higher end skimmers are grossly over skimming and wasting money.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These skimmers are both really good so id say they are closer to max gallons then some. Heavy stock is serious though I doubt many are heavy stock on this forum. I typically base this type of decision on a medium stock density. Really how many fish are you planning on having. If it was fish only I may change my decision. I have talked with one of arguably the best skimmer manufactures in person and what he said and showed me really made a lot of sense. Most people buy these higher end skimmers are grossly over skimming and wasting money.
Thank you I appreciate the insight on this subject, I’m sure my view of over stock is probably light if gauges properly lol. So I would be good with the 200 or 250 then without the fears of over skimming?
Thanks again I really appreciate it

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand this. They do different things. Can you explain more?
They basically do the same thing they remove impurities from the water and the algae scrubber does a much better job and you never have to worry about getting any algae breakouts

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They basically do the same thing they remove impurities from the water and the algae scrubber does a much better job and you never have to worry about getting any algae breakouts
I am not a hater of algae scrubbers, I have built a few in my time never bought one though. They do some similar jobs but a skimmer is going to remove more "impurities" than the scrubber. Used in concert they are a great duo just like a refugium (scrubber is actually better than a fuge) but a scrubber cannot replace a skimmer. The scrubber is better at controlling nitrate and phosphate. Something a scrubber cannot do is drive co2 from the water column like a skimmer. True the algae will remove co2 from the water but not at the same rate a skimmer can. Of course this is dependent on air quality around the tank. There is also stuff like phenols and tannins that a skimmer can remove and a scrubber can't. But you are correct in pure nitrate and phosphate removal the scrubber wins, if that is what you meant.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I appreciate the insight on this subject, I’m sure my view of over stock is probably light if gauges properly lol. So I would be good with the 200 or 250 then without the fears of over skimming?
Thanks again I really appreciate it
I say 200 @Jekyl says 250 either will work as will the 300. Im saying save the $ get the 200 it will be more than enough.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say 200 @Jekyl says 250 either will work as will the 300. Im saying save the $ get the 200 it will be more than enough.
That’s what I was trying to decide between the 200sss annd 250SSS. I think the 300 although will work is not needed so wasted money, I’m leaning towards the 200. The difference in price is approximately 180 CAD and if not needed then I’d rather keep that and get the 200 if this skimmer is perfectly capable of doing the job without issue of underperforming.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back