Cant seem to keep any other fish

Bruster45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 29gal tank running for 3 years now and I've only been able to keep the original 2 clown fish. It seems every time I add a fish they die after qt. It could be a few months or a few days. I've tried cardinals, fire fish, corse wrasse, lawnmower blenny, bullet goby, and yellow head goby. I have a fair amount of corals growing well. I tested parameters often and have tested for voltage and the voltage is very low. I have plans to upgrade to a 60gal in the future and will get mostly new equipment other the powerheads. Any thoughts on what doing wrong to not keep fish?
20210131_154928.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The possibilities are endless...

Are you prophylactically treating your new fish while in quarantine...or just observing?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to both comments above. And I kind of suspect that your clowns may think that all 29 gallons are their personal territory to defend, stressing out some other fish. Ideally if you could set up your other tank and get it established with new fish, and then just toss in the Clowns last, that might be a good strategy. Given that they are Clowns, you could drain the 29-gal. down to a 3rd of the water level and just run some minimal filtration and aeration and keep pull that current tank off to the side, out of your way, as a holding tanks for months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe It’s aggression, however if fish all died in quarantine - it points to water
If you’re using api test kits, you will get false readings and have higher ammonia and nitrates than you realize from the start
If they’re dying in display tank-
Set your phone on video mode and place in front of tank for 20-30 minutes and walk away as fish know you’re standing there. Go back and review video and you’ll have your answer.
Also remember to acclimate fish from qt to display tank as if you just purchased it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back