Carbon dosing all at once or in increments throughout the day?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a doser to carbon dose a small amount every 15 minute through out the day for a total of 4ml each day.
(In my case I use Tropic Marin Elimi-NP)

I suspect that this may not be the best way to reduce Nitrate/Phosphate as I am only growing a smaller population of bacterial throughout the day rather than growing a big population all at once during the day.

Can anyone share their experience if you have done it both ways and found one way work better than the other. Maybe it doesn't matter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been using a doser to carbon dose a small amount every 15 minute through out the day for a total of 4ml each day.
(In my case I use Tropic Marin Elimi-NP)

I suspect that this may not be the best way to reduce Nitrate/Phosphate as I am only growing a smaller population of bacterial throughout the day rather than growing a big population all at once during the day.

Can anyone share their experience if you have done it both ways and found one way work better than the other. Maybe it doesn't matter.
Gradually and monitor levels as you go along
Dropping no3 and po4 can lead to Dino

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont think it matter much. Whether you do the dose once a day or split it up in the case of carbon dosing. I dont think splitting it up causes any issues though and makes sure there is a constant source throughout the day. Not sure what size tank you have but 4ml dont sound like much i think more likely the issue is needing larger dose(though it does take time so only increase gradually over a period of weeks and keep monitoring)

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what size tank you have but 4ml dont sound like much i think more likely the issue is needing larger dose
I have only a 40 gallon tank. I have been using Tropic Marin Elimi-NP for close to 1.5 years now.
Maybe I do need to up my levels again, but whenever I do, I get the white film of bacteria growing on the glass...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back