Carbon Recommendation

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon in my mixed reef system as a precaution to hopefully remove any toxins released by my softies before they can harm my SPS. I've been using the Aqua-Tech stuff from WalMart. I just got back from buying 4 9oz bottles for $5.88 each. I thought that was a little high so I checked bulkreefsupply and they have three different products: Lignite, Bituminous, and Premium ROX 0.8. Has anyone used either to compare?

EPC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a reactor to put the media in and let water run through it. I would say get their pellet GFO I run it on my tank to keep the water looking crystal clear and love it.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the ROX and from what I understand as it will last longer and pull more due to supposedly having more surface area. I dont know about the others. I dont use carbon much anymore but when I do I use blackdiamond just because I can get it local

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lignite GAC is the better value... very close to ROX in performance and it can be changed out 3x for the cost of ROX.

Tenacious716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Pellets are the way to go, takes a LOT less time to rinse than the WalMart branded carbon, I know from experience! :)

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a refillable cartridge like you would use with DI resin and I don't rinse the carbon. The sponge traps all the dust.

pugbreath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rox then lignite. The other stuff is their opening price point. The ROX lasts longer but it's a lot finer so it sometimes works itself out of my reactor.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to ML black diamond . The ROX is awesome but too agressive for me . I might try it again and just use less . LOL

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ROX lasts longer.....

Not disagreeing with this, but just wondering how people really know? is there a way to know when it has been exhausted? That has always been the primary concern I have with any carbon, and tend to change to frequently, perhaps too frequently, because you just never know...

That being said, I have tried all the ones mentioned here and they all work.

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to quantify a comparison. I recently switched from Kent Marine grade carbon pellets to BRS ROX. No way of telling which is better. I guess I'm a potential victom of marketting. I based my decision off or pore size, surface area, dust and purity. Good point.....we really don't know when it's exhausted. I've heard as short as 3 days to a more realistic 6 weeks. I shoot for the latter, but I have a predominitely ZOA/PALY tank so a little organics in the water column is beneficial.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPStoner,
I agree with you about who knows, but I think/thought BillyBeau1 did a test over on RC, which I do not have archive acess too, on carbon, maybe you can look it up or have him post it. I know I read it and there is some differences, some carbon holds all things even when exhausted and some release it, Billy made notes to that, also whatch a thing on Modern Marvels on how the make GAC, man it was great!!!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the ROX and from what I understand as it will last longer and pull more due to supposedly having more surface area. I dont know about the others. I dont use carbon much anymore but when I do I use blackdiamond just because I can get it local

+ 1 been using Rox for some time now.. and recently ordered a 1 gallon .

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using ROX now but was using a off brand carbon from a local store here and it has worked great. I wanted to see what the hype was about with ROX. My system is slightly clearer than before but I don't know if it is worth the extra loot for it as I see minimal improvement from what I was previously using.

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An experienced reefer I know locally, who works a day job with the community water supply for a loooong time, shared some stuff with me that was a bit contrary to what we normally hear.

He recommends Warner Marine carbon, says they're pricier but the community water company did tests of several different carbons and theirs tested best. Now, who cares ??? How did they test, what were they testing, where are the results posted, etc....etc....etc.... Let's say its all BS

What this guy does as a reefer is run carbon in a reactor for months....the same carbon in the reactor for 3 months or more.....what ?? Not only that, but he tumbles the heck out of it via a dedicated Maxijet 12 through the reactor with absolutely no concern about grinding it up into dust.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but to paraphrase he claims carbon does not release what it absorbs back into the water column, but rather a lack of flow through the carbon causes a build up of bacteria which is then released back into the water. I.E...its not anything the carbon absorbed but rather the "medium" itself just gathering detritus and whanot that creates the bacteria and puts it in the water. Similar to a filter sock or pre-filter I suppose.

I don't know what to trust in this hobby, example after example purports to be true or the gospel, only to find out that A or B doesn't have a clue, or is just outright skewing the truth for marketing purposes. Which leaves me spouting off the same jibberish to whoever happens to be in earshot......garbage in garbage out ??? I guess we'll find out another truth someday when the latest and greatest hits the streets.....

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back