Care for a gymnothorax dovii or if any information available

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing, got an eel thought it was a turkey moray (didn't have a white mouth) so then I thought it was a stout moray because of the yellow head and spot's (size was too big and the spots were a little bit lesser)
And with the final conclusion of him being a gymnothorax dovii

The only information I've gotten on him is that he grows to about 170cm

Unsuited for aquariums (i wonder why)

Not caught for the aquarium trade (I really do wonder how I got him)

I likely got him because he slipped into the fish trap set by the divers who catch fish or got stuck in a trap (saw him in the store thought he was cool and here I am) so if any info I would gladly appreciate

(As for the proof of him being a gymnothorax dovii) (fine spotted moray)

The spot's may be slightly more distributed in my eel compared to the one shown in one of the pictures but he's still a juvenile so I believe its gonna change as he grows
1703597704641.jpg 1703597704605.jpg IMG_20231229_021458.jpg Screenshot_2023-12-29-02-14-39-771_com.android.chrome.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goes back to the earlier statement I made about species rare in the trade. Since you have treated this eel and they are eating, the care would be the same as any fang tooth eel. I have suggested some of my threads recommending foods and concerns of nutrition for long term success. The statement about "not suitable for aquariums" may be because it is a 170cm fang tooth eel, so pretty close to the same stats as a tessa. When it says "not caught for the aquarium trade", this basically means they do not show up on any divers list, because they are not a species getting requests likely due to no previous history or hobbyist with any interest. The fact is many divers will catch whatever they can and today they are using some sickening techniques to drug and stun fish for capture, so any fish that floats up with be collected.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king or @Slocke might know more about this guy. He is cool. Is this the same one the tessa almost made a meal of? Lol
Lol, yes, sadly I got him smaller than my tess so the size may have caused that royal rumble, they had a show off but I wouldn't have gotten him out if the tess didn't bite him

Are your eels eating yet?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goes back to the earlier statement I made about species rare in the trade. Since you have treated this eel and they are eating, the care would be the same as any fang tooth eel. I have suggested some of my threads recommending foods and concerns of nutrition for long term success. The statement about "not suitable for aquariums" may be because it is a 170cm fang tooth eel, so pretty close to the same stats as a tessa. When it says "not caught for the aquarium trade", this basically means they do not show up on any divers list, because they are not a species getting requests likely due to no previous history or hobbyist with any interest. The fact is many divers will catch whatever they can and today they are using some sickening techniques to drug and stun fish for capture, so any fish that floats up with be collected.
Oh, that makes more sense, hopefully he grows more faster than my tessa so that I may be able to keep them together (but he might take revenge since the tess did bite him so i might reconsider) don't be surprised if I am gonna be scrolling through your threads for hours straight Lol, oh right i thought of giving some harder eel species a try to see if i will be able to get them to eat like the viper moray (goodluck to me to find one though)

There's a youtuber who has kept a viper moray and documented it's whole care to get them eating (took a whole 12 weeks) he also added the viper moray with his tessalata and giant moray so i might give it a try (my 210 looks empty with only my tess Lol)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes, sadly I got him smaller than my tess so the size may have caused that royal rumble, they had a show off but I wouldn't have gotten him out if the tess didn't bite him

Are your eels eating yet?
Oh yes they are, Ive let them tell me when they are hungry!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes they are, Ive let them tell me when they are hungry!
haha that's cool, even my tess does the same, when I am infront of the tank if he's hungry he comes up at the glass and if he isn't hungry he just stares looking cute in the rocks (makes me forget the times he almost bit my arm Lol)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha that's cool, even my tess does the same, when I am infront of the tank if he's hungry he comes up at the glass and if he isn't hungry he just stares looking cute in the rocks (makes me forget the times he almost bit my arm Lol)
Oh yeah mine are adorable!! My family thinks Im crazy for thinking they are cute but they are! Especially Ghost, she is a cutie! Ivar is just beautiful!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah mine are adorable!! My family thinks Im crazy for thinking they are cute but they are! Especially Ghost, she is a cutie! Ivar is just beautiful!
I call my tess a cutie pie and my family just think I am weird besides my dad haha me and my dad have a soft heart for alan the tessy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back