Carpenter wrasse lying on its side

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a carpenter wrasse in my nano tank for quite awhile now, he has been doing well but when I looked at it this morning, it was lying on its side on the live rock and a few hours later it was lying on the floor. When I tap on the tank, it swam back up. It still eats and comes to the top of the tank during feeding. Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I have a firefish, a clownfish, a banggai cardinal and 2 nassarius snails with the carpenter wrasse in the tank.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any pic? how's your water parameter?
I tested the water. Everything is normal. Here's a pic. Its a little hard to take a pic because every time I try he swims back up.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-06 at 10.44.41.jpeg

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a bare bottom tank? how long have you had it?
flasher wrasses, like many others, require sand bed to hide and sleep in. a bare bottom tank is the equivalent of a hotel room without a bed for it. They'll be fine for a while but overtime that stress can build up and make them more vulnerable to disease.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wrasse has been with me for about 2 months. Here's another pic.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-06 at 10.49.59.jpeg
I would strongly recommend sand. And if you absolutely want to keep the bare bottom look, you can simply place a 4" dish or bowl with 2-3" deep fine sand (not crush coral) for the little guys to hide and rest properly.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend sand. And if you absolutely want to keep the bare bottom look, you can simply place a 4" dish or bowl with 2-3" deep fine sand (not crush coral) for the little guys to hide and rest properly.
I'll go get sand soon. What material bowl should I place the sand in?

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a bare bottom tank? how long have you had it?
flasher wrasses, like many others, require sand bed to hide and sleep in. a bare bottom tank is the equivalent of a hotel room without a bed for it. They'll be fine for a while but overtime that stress can build up and make them more vulnerable to disease.
he hides in the live rock to sleep every night so do you know why he is like that now?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasse don't sleep in the sand. They sleep in the rock. Leapords and Halichoeres species sleep in the sand. Its not lack of sand.
How long have you had it

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank
Have you seen any agression

Back