OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not running carbon. What would that do?

I put in 18ml of NoPox, which I think was the recommended amount for 180g, but I've been dosing vinegar for a week, so I think the combination might have been too much. I'll wait until it clears up before I try again.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea because there pretty much one and the same so it's like 2 dose. I would quit one or the other no need in both.carbon will help clear the bloom up

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently does 12ml 18 seemed to be little much when I figure in rock and sand.Only thing I have seen is a white film on glass every couple of days. Look into a carbon reactor it's more efficient than a media bag. Do you know your phosphate level?

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I haven't got a phosphate test. Didn't think I needed one? You are probably right about the dose being too high, although 12 seems low. That would be 100g, right? Maybe I'll try 15. BTW, I didn't dose the NoPox and the vinegar together. I was just thinking there might be some vinegar leftover from previous doses. But maybe I was just too enthusiastic.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 18ml would be for 150g I have probably little over a 100lbs of Rock in tank. I'm still new at this nopox dosing myself so I'm going by looks of tank and experimenting with my dose amount.I was having to change fitter socks every couple days when I started using it , now about once a week

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry I left it hanging. It was better the next morning and then I put some carbon in the sump and it cleared right up. I started dosing again with 7.5ml twice a day with no issues. My skimmer seems to like it.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your Jabao pumps working in your tank are they putting out enough flow for your tank thing about getting me a pair just thought I would see what you thought of yours

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with the them, but I don't have any coral on the tank yet, so YMMV. They seem to blow the algae around pretty well, and I was concerned that it might be too much current for the two little clown fish. However, they seem to like playing in the current. I have them both on full, so I think I could have done a PP-15 and turned it down. I wasn't sure how much physically bigger it would be. The PP-8s are bulky enough.:)

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a new sump/refugium out of a 40 breeder needed more space to handle water from the bigger skimmer still twinking things and just got skimmer back on line this evening
image.jpeg

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a new sump/refugium out of a 40 breeder needed more space to handle water from the bigger skimmer still twinking things and just got skimmer back on line this evening
image.jpeg
Looks good

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Sorry, for the slow reply. I was in England for two weeks. Of course, because I dared to go on vacation, I had a catastrophic tank failure while I was gone.

So my 150T is no more. It cracked across the bottom panel. I am now thinking that it might have been at least partly the fault of the PP-8s. I move one a couple of weeks ago to bounce the current off the side panel and I'm wondering if it might have been too much.

Anyway, I bought a 120 to replace it with a slightly taller stand. Although it pains me to give up the volume, I think I'll feel more comfortable being able to reach the bottom.

On the other hand the new tank comes with a canopy, so it may be just as hard to get to what I need to.:)

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now would be good time to put a bigger sump in if you thought it needed always need more sump room

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the new tank comes with a 40g sump so a little bigger. I think it's one of the downsides to a four foot tank that you can only squeeze so much in the stand.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would get the longer 150 if I did it over and still might one day. The new sump I got is a 40g couldn't get it under stand so build a side cabinet and plumbed every thing out the side

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a clever solution. Leaves a lot of room in the cabinet.

Fortunately I've been adding things very slowly. I lost my clowns and an algae blenny. My son-in-law learned how to make saltwater over the phone and rescued the rocks, cucumber and hermit crab.

So a small price for such a large failure. I'm sorry about the fish and the fact that I'll never get the aquascape back the same way.:) I am going to try to do a better job rinsing the rocks this time and hope that helps the nitrates. I had just set up a GFO reactor so I put it in one of the tubs.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes under tank now I have the calcium reactor CO2 bottle and 5 gallon bucket for my ATO

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back