CaRx Question.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaRx question. I’ve had my geos ca reactor for almost a year ant it’s been rock solid. I ran the ph at 6.72 (Carbon Doser at 7 bubbles per second) the flow at 55.5gtts/min (Kamora), and my CaRx flow pump (Vectra S2 at 25%) and the Ca has been stable at 485. Recently changed out the CO2, and a few days later i was getting a high Ca reading, over 500, but i had just cut some big chunks coral so i thought this could be natural. So I started checking things. I noticed my pH probe was off. In a solution of 7.01 i was getting a reading of 7.14. So I got the 4.0-7.0 solutions and calibrated the probe, and it checked perfect against the solution. So I’ve hooked everything back up. And now I’m confused!!! So the pH inside the reactor is at 6.64-6.65, the bubbles are maxed at 10 sec per bubble, and the kamora is at 60 gtts/min. Oh the output psi is between 12-15psi.

So what’s going on??? I’m lost, and need help. Why now do i have the Carbon Doser maxed at 10 and the ph inside the reactor is so low?? I’m heading out of town this weekend and would like to solve this. I’m not new to the CaRx but i am stuck at what to do. I have the apex programmed to adjust the ph but in the past I’ve not really even needed it because there has been no fluctuation in the reactor or its readings in almost a year.,

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CO2 Doser is maxed at 10, putting it off max, maybe 7 should raise pH inside the reactor. I'm a little worried that your concern is making you overreact with your actions.

Take a breath and move slowly. It will be fine.

You have made a lot of adjustments in a short time and these things often are better left unmoved (until you have to change the cylinder).

Lower CO2 input will raise the pH in the reactor.

Lowering the flow will raise pH but it will also lower CA/Alk inputs into the tank.

OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CO2 Doser is maxed at 10, putting it off max, maybe 7 should raise pH inside the reactor. I'm a little worried that your concern is making you overreact with your actions.

Take a breath and move slowly. It will be fine.

You have made a lot of adjustments in a short time and these things often are better left unmoved (until you have to change the cylinder).

Lower CO2 input will raise the pH in the reactor.

Lowering the flow will raise pH but it will also lower CA/Alk inputs into the tank.
So thanks for responding. So the max 10 bubbles is actually the slowest the CO2 can be put into the tank. On the Carbon Doser that’s 10 seconds between bubbles. If i change this to 7 my PH will drop even lower. I’m trying to get the pH inside the reactor to be in a normal range, 6.5-6.8. Currently it’s at 6.3

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing with a CaRx is the alk in the effluent. What is yours? If it is around 25, then you are all set. If it is higher, then turn the bubbles down until you get there - you really have to wait overnight to see the change.

Once you get to about 25, then take measure if your bubbles per minute and also the effluent rate (drips or MLs per minute). Raise and lower the bubbles and drips in this same ratio to meet your tank needs.

Don't worry about pH inside of the reactor. Even if the probe is accurate, it won't be for long and the dKh in the effluent is the only thing that matters anyway.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 29.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back