caulerpa prolifera questions?

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ways back after down sizing my reef to a 33L I wanted to try a macro algae tanK and picked up a random bag of macros from the LFS. Flash forward a year, and now my DT is full of this unstoppable weed that over takes everything. I'm at a point where I just want to get rid of it and start over. However, the caulerpa prolifera lives up to its name and isnt slowing down and im not sure what otions i have to eradicate this macro from my system.
I'm leaning towards nuking the whole system with reef flux but don't know if this is a great idea due to the fact I've got several very healthy mangrove trees.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! If you are patien, you can take out manualy. Caulerpas usualli return because we take out the foils, but not the rizomes. If you take a rock with caulerpa and remove all rizomes using a tweezers, caulerpas not return. It's importat to identificate all the rizomes.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! If you are patien, you can take out manualy. Caulerpas usualli return because we take out the foils, but not the rizomes. If you take a rock with caulerpa and remove all rizomes using a tweezers, caulerpas not return. It's importat to identificate all the rizomes.
If rock is outside of tank get serious with peroxide. I use a toothbrush

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer not to use peroxide or brushes to avoid unnecessary damage to the rock covering biofilm and other organism. Then let each one do with his rock what he deems.

To remove caulerpa, erease the rizoma is enought.

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I salute your attention to detail for the microbiology, I was focused on time management with the rest of my schedule.
Your proposal could very well work. I personally try to avoid using any non-specific chemical or abrasive method to eliminate an unwanted organism when it could harm other desired organisms. I know that I am a bit extremist in this sense but experience has also pushed me to be so. I will always recommend taking care of the biofilm of the rocks until its last consequences because it is what guarantees the general health of the aquarium from a biological point of view. But be careful, it is my opinion and it is not my aquarium, I am not criticizing other methods that can also work, I am just trying to explain how I would try to solve the problem initially thinking about future benefits for the aquarium.

All the best.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back