Chasing Salinity

vb_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I really tried to figure this out before making this thread. I also read a few similar threads from other members with similar problems. But decided to make my own thread in the end (hopefully this is in the correct area). I apologize in advance for the long read.

Tank is a Innovative Marine EXT 25g (used as a frag tank) plumbed into a Geo 36 sump. I had a 120g and the IM EXT tank plumbed together. But sold off the 120g for a upgrade. These past few days/week I've been chasing salinity. I've been using Brightwell NeoMarine salt for a few years now with not problems since day one. Salinity at 35ppt via Hanna - HI98319 Salinity checker since the begining. Calibrating once every other month with no problems. Here is where the issues started happening and I kind of wish I didn't look into it as much.

I sent a ICP test using ATI and received the results on 2/22/23. Salinity came back 36.99, no issues at all with corals (more LPS dominant) other then a few tester acros not looking the best but was still doing ok. After seeing the result I then went to verify the ATI results with my hanna checker, it still was spot on at 35ppt. I run a Apex as well, but I know how unreliable the salinity probe is. So I just use it as a reference for stability. Prior to making any changes, with hanna reading at 35pp, ATI results at 36.99, my Apex probe would register between 36ppt - 37ppt (best i can get it to read to 35ppt).

This is where the chasing salinity began and corals started to feel all the changes. I brought out the trusty ATC refractometer, I used a calibration solution from brightwell. I'm wondering if I can be using the wrong calibration for it as well. But it reads 35ppt when tested. Before making any changes, I checked salinity using the ATC refractometer. Salinity was reading close to 40 ppt - 41ppt. Yet, hanna was reading 35ppt and apex was reading on the higher side of 38ppt - 39ppt. I thought something is off because I'm getting readings all over the place. Calibrated the hanna, I even let the solution sit for a few hours before calibrating. Hanna checker calibrated and reading 35ppt while in solution. When placed into the tank, readings are now 34.1 ppt?! I read into several threads and even watch a youtube video (I think on WWC channel, not 100% sure) about a hobbyist that almost crashed his tank. He too used a hanna checker that was not reading salinity accurately despite being calibrated.

I started to lower salinity based of the refractometer and not the hanna (thinking it finally gave up as I've used it for a few years now). Interesting thing was that as my salinity got closer to 35ppt, my apex probe was actually correlating as well. Not spot on, but trended the same direction as the refractometer. On the other hand, I'm getting really low reading when using the hanna, registering at 33.1 - 33.4

Now looking to buy a Milwaukee refratometer just to see if i can rule out any instruments reading incorrectly. I'm looking to send in another ICP as well, but debating on which to use this time. ATI kinda takes a long time to get results back. I'd like to get the corals looking better before any die off happens. I do see some bleached tips on acros. My space invader is not swelled/puffed up like normal. Torches seems to be ok, but some hammers are not as open as well.

My next step is to make a "Randy's calibrations fluid" and test that with each refractometer. I could use any recommendations or advice others may have.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stock (not lab grade) refractometer with standard calibration fluid, then go from there. I don't trust the Hanna for results (it's sensitive to temperature, etc.)

You can "reset" the Neptune salinity probe by disabling, unplugging the probe, rebooting the Apex, plugging back in and re-enabling. This has worked for me on occasion.

I wouldn't waste the $/time with lab testing. Just make sure your refractometer is calibrated properly and use that as your reference.

As long as salinity is in that 34.1-36.1ppt range it's generally ok.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Hanna HI98319 and in a round about way, see the same issues as you.
I buy ready mixed saltwater from my LFS which is always made to 1.025 (my brain doesn't use the ppt measurement). They check every mix on their refractometer but when I check it on my Hanna it always reads 1.022/1.023.
I trust the LFS as it's owned by my step brother so just accept that the Hanna is 0.002/0.003 out (recalibration confirmed). Also, all of my coral.and livestock comes from him so I figured it best tor match him even if it is slightly out.
This isn't an issue as I use the Hanna more for checking consistency and verifying that my tank and the new water matches. As long as everything measures ~1.023 prior to water changes, i'm happy.

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second what Mark suggests. I use the tropic marin hydrometer when mixing new water, once it sits at 1.026 i use that water as a reference to check refracto calibration. I have been bitten with calibration fluid before, but this is always spot on.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back