Cheato and macro growing reactor

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Pax Bellum ARID for a while but the pricing just keeps going up and up and now it's quite outrageous. So with some guidance from Wally at seaside aquatics this is my DIY version for $110. That price does not include the feed pump.

Seaside Aquatics/Aqua Excel FR60 reactor
UPlights waterproof led strip kit with dimmer from amazon
True union fittings and 1/2" push connect conversion for MJ1200 feed pump and easy maintenance

IMG_20160922_233828.jpg

That is with the dimmer on the lowest setting. This sucker is bright and will probably only run at 50%. What's cool about this reactor is that the divider is adjustable so you can grow two different kinds of macro and have the chambers be different sizes. I will be doing chaeto on the bottom and dragon's breath on the top. Also going to seed it with different kinds of pods to see how that goes. The diodes are fully covered in a waterproof silicone that is quite sticky so it attaches to the reactor super easy.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it works. I thought about an ATS but don't really have room for one. compared to $800 for Pax Bellum ARID this may be an option.
This looks like the light you used, if not could you give more info.
RoLightic 16.4ft 5M SMD 5050 300LEDs Flexible Led Strip Plant Growing Aquarium Light Kit Red Blue 5:1 DC 12V Waterproof IP65 with 5A Power Supply and Dimmer (Led Strip + Power Supply + Dimmer)sold by Uplights on Amazon $29.00 reactor $109

OP
OP
gus6464

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it works. I thought about an ATS but don't really have room for one. compared to $800 for Pax Bellum ARID this may be an option.
This looks like the light you used, if not could you give more info.
RoLightic 16.4ft 5M SMD 5050 300LEDs Flexible Led Strip Plant Growing Aquarium Light Kit Red Blue 5:1 DC 12V Waterproof IP65 with 5A Power Supply and Dimmer (Led Strip + Power Supply + Dimmer)sold by Uplights on Amazon $29.00 reactor $109

Yep that's the light.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's the light.
Now I just need to save up more money, I thought about doing something like that. Just seems so simple and I would like to have more pods in my system where they can reproduce without an ATS or refugium. Just took one of my Phosban reactors and using it as a second chamber for my calcium reactor. Always something to do.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've wanted a Pax Bellum ARID for a while but the pricing just keeps going up and up and now it's quite outrageous. So with some guidance from Wally at seaside aquatics this is my DIY version for $110. That price does not include the feed pump.

Seaside Aquatics/Aqua Excel FR60 reactor
UPlights waterproof led strip kit with dimmer from amazon
True union fittings and 1/2" push connect conversion for MJ1200 feed pump and easy maintenance

IMG_20160922_233828.jpg

That is with the dimmer on the lowest setting. This sucker is bright and will probably only run at 50%. What's cool about this reactor is that the divider is adjustable so you can grow two different kinds of macro and have the chambers be different sizes. I will be doing chaeto on the bottom and dragon's breath on the top. Also going to seed it with different kinds of pods to see how that goes. The diodes are fully covered in a waterproof silicone that is quite sticky so it attaches to the reactor super easy.

That looks great!

Can you give us some details on how you built it?

OP
OP
gus6464

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great!

Can you give us some details on how you built it?

So basically the lights is just a strip roll but they have a silicone coating on them for waterproofing. The coating is super sticky so I just wrapped the light around the reactor and it sticks to it. I just taped the ends. The light strip comes with the strip, power supply, and manual knob dimmer. Then the reactor is just an Aqua Excel FR-60. Since I am using a cobalt MJ1200 pump to feed it I decided to simplify connections and use 1/2" mur-lok push connect. The outlet of the MJ1200 fits right on a 1/2" push connect mur-lok union. Then just got some true unions for the reactor along with mur-lok 1/2" npt to push connect and got the 1/2" rigid tubing from BRS.

OP
OP
gus6464

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great have you grown anything with it yet?
Nope still have to make the stand for my tank and floating canopy plus prep all the plumbing as I am automating as much as I can this time around with auto water change, auto rodi ato container fillup, etc. Also doing a slight modification to my new geo sump to have the built in reactor empty water out to an air suspended brightwell xport bio brick for aerobic/anaerobic bacteria action.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you like the bio brick. I've been looking at those but worried about debris getting lodged in it and clogging it up.

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the reactor idea, simple and won't break the bank. My only worry is the lighting spectrum of those LED's. Keep us posted on how your growth is.
Thanks!

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the specs and details on LEDs? I'd be scared there not bright enough. Anybody used these before and had any luck? I'll buy a few sets if they grow chetto

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, you can use one of those kalk reactor that rotates and use it as the algae reactor using the led light wrapped around it.

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have to at some time harvest or pull some macro algae out if it goes out of control?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really make a difference if the lights are down the middle or around the outside. It seems to be alot simpler around the outside, it may not be as pretty but you could use more lights and spend a lot less money.

Rpc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra reactor doing nothing right now. I already saved the lights to my Amazon list, following along to see if the lights work. Great idea!!

OP
OP
gus6464

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the reactor idea, simple and won't break the bank. My only worry is the lighting spectrum of those LED's. Keep us posted on how your growth is.
Thanks!

Red is the spectrum used to grow plants on steroids. I ran a fuge a long time ago with a Kessil H150 magenta and it grew chaeto like no other.

What's the specs and details on LEDs? I'd be scared there not bright enough. Anybody used these before and had any luck? I'll buy a few sets if they grow chetto

They are SMD5050 if I'm not mistaken. It is more than bright enough. I am only going to run them at 50% on the dimmer.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back