Cheato tumbling

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheato was tumbling when I first put it in my sump and now it's not. Is this because it has gotten a little bigger or why would it just stop tumbling?? I'm running the kessil h380 and like I said now it's just staying at the top of the refugium instead of tumbling so is the light gonna burn it up or what?? Can anyone help me out with this?? Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just getting heavier. The light wont burn it up but if it's getting to "full" you can harvest it to get more light in or maybe break it apart a little?

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well it's just a heavy ball and when I pull it apart some it will tumble then but after a minute it goes right back to coming to the top so I don't know if I should just rip it apart or what I've only had it for 1 week now and I only bought a 5 dollar portion

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just didn't know if the light would burn it up and kill it or not that's all because it's supposed to be a strong light from what I've heard

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just running it around 10 hours and the light is probably around 8 inches away from it how far should it be away from it

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 to 10 inches is fine, the hours are usually opposite the DT hours but it sounds like your on track, if you see the chesto on top start to turn white you know you need to cut back hours and lift light up alittle, and of course rotate the chesto every couple days, most reefers don’t worry about the tumbling of there cheato in fact it’s unrealistic unless you got a huge sump with a powerhead in there

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will run it opposite of tank lights but right now it just got finished cycling and I'm gonna change the water this weekend and then I'm gonna start putting corals in there and then I will change the lighting to at night

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, there’s no reason to have your cheato tumbling other than to prevent it from burning

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back